lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #21
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 s stroke I think

Check everything VERY carefully. I don't know about this motor specifically, and they vary from engine to engine. Some engines it will cause damage when you install the piston backwards, and you'll have to tear down and replace top end again (will score the piston pretty bad in just 5-10 minutes of easy riding). (though you may be able to just get rings, clean up the piston, and run a hone through the cylinder). Some engines you can simply flip the piston around and be fine. But, like I said I just am not familiar enough with this engine to say for sure. Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm.

Also if the engine flooded with gas, pull the plug and spin it over a bit. helps to blow all of it out. Then try again. Also, make sure the gas is actually getting where it is supposed to. Does running with the choke on help? You may have an air leak, which will let unmetered air in and cause it to run lean (Which is #1 killer of a 2 stroke). Also, running too heavy of a premix can cause it to run lean. 128:1 has much more fuel per spray of the carb than 50:1. The added oil does not help the combustion process so it will be lean.

Also worth checking to make sure you have a nice solid spark. Weak spark will let it run, but just not very well.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #22
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 2 stroke I think

It didn't hurt the piston or cylinder. I just turned it around and put it back together. Now for more >

I have discovered that someone before me put electrical tape on the pulser coil wires all the way from one end to the other. I saw it when I removed the engine but I had got it to firing by replacing the coil and ignition from junked out cart.
Should have did it before I put engine back in but was in a hurry and here is where I am now.

The spark was good with my spark tester but I noticed Saturday it would miss a beat once in a while so I needed to check more. The more I pushed on the pedal the spark would go away

I decided yesterday to start pulling on the taped up wires and the spark went away and then came back.

I got .25 AC volts from the Pulser so that might be weak. I know the harness is bad as I proved that when I move it.

I am replacing the pulser coil from the old engine I have. The harness is good in it. The one I am working on does not have the rubber grommet where it goes in engine. Someone really did a job to the owner of this cart.

Now I got to see if I can the fan/flywheel off. It has the split in end of shaft and so far with my puller I have not got it to move.

I sprayed good stuff on it today so maybe it will move tomorrow. Any tips appreciated on how to get it off without destroying things. Tom.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #23
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I think the pulsar is good. It's making AC voltage.

You need a steering wheel puller, and some 6mm screws to remove the flywheel. Put a socket over the split shaft. An impact driver works best. The pulsar ring should be in the middle of the screw slots.

I know you haven't done the HEI mod, but when it gets done, sometimes you have to switch the red, and blue wires on the pulsar.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #24
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I thought the same thing about the Pulser but when I move the wire the fire goes away. When it fires correct it is nice and blue. I checked it with my spark tester.
This wiring harness is awful but I might leave it be if I can find the break in the wires.

I really don't want to go to the trouble of putting a new pulser in it. I can always stop up the hole where the wires go through block with something.

I have not touched this cart since last week. I am only trying to remove the fan/flywheel from my old engine sitting in the floor.
I might do the HEI change over. What makes me sick is when I started to work at my shop the 1st of the year I had several of these Modules and threw them away when cleaning up. I also tossed several HEI distributors.

I have several pullers but so far it has not moved. I did also use a socket but no move :) This old engine has been sitting outside for years. The seat was on it but moisture still did a job on it.

I really didn't think at age 71 I would be back working but I am :) I only went back to clean up but next thing you know here I am working again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark tester.jpg (23.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #25
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Use the puller and get it to where it's real tight. Then the bolt you turn in the middle of the puller, give it a few solid smacks with a big hammer. If that doesnt break it loose, get the puller bolt a little tighter and hit it again. Takes some work and patience sometimes but it'll let loose.

If the holes in the flywheel you put the bolts in strip out in the process, you can always put them back and weld them. They wont come loose again :)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:09 AM   #26
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I really would not want to start welding on a flywheel. Those things are balanced.
If the were to strip out I would just drill and tap to one size larger. These tiny bolts that are used to pull the flywheel serve no purpose other than to pull it off as I see.

I did get the flywheel off my junked out engine and now I see how they are timed.
The only thing left to check on this cart is the timing. It runs like a car that has the plug wires crossed lol Tries to run then explodes. Not sure if a bad ignitor would cause this but I do know these parts we installed came off a running cart that had been sitting for 10 years. I also have a friend who had a cart just like this one and I went to his house yesterday and plugged the coil on this trouble engine and it ran great. The coil I know is good.
I have not removed the flywheel on problem engine yet but plan on doing it today. The wires were taped all the way to pulser coil, never putting the rubber grommet back in engine where the wire go through. I will use the pulser and grommet from the junked out cart engine today I hope. The pulser does put out .25 ac volts which I believe it a little on the low side but it does fire.

This engine has been into recently but they never could get it to run. The owner loaded it up and took it home after they charged him way too much to rebuild the engine and they never could get it to run. He got slammed.

First the muffler was plugged at tail pipe and I mean plugged. Next they had the piston in backwards.

It was also not firing when my friend bought it. He took the ignitor and coil from my junked out cart which was running when parked and put it on the trouble engine. At the time I didn't know about the muffler being plugged or the piston being installed backward.

The fire is nice and blue. It's got to be a timing issue, or at least I think. I will know more when I take a look today. I sort of wish I had never seen this cart. :) but it will run before it leave the shop or I will just buy it :) :) . Tom
Old 10-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #27
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Somewhere around here we had a discussion about the difference between a 2-pg, and a 3-pg on positioning the pulsar ring. The 2-pg gets centered on the screw slots. After some studying, it was determined that the 3-pg is offset with some timing marks.

You may want to hunt for that thread.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #28
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The timing is offset from the center of the slot. I’ve also heard and experienced that they are pretty forgiving with timing. When I did mine (I’ve done two) I just put it back where it was and haven’t had issues with it.

I have only found one method that actually works for removing the flywheel, and it’s pretty rough. And if you want to use oil injection ever again (I don’t) you can’t wreck that end of the crankshaft. It’s very soft.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 AM   #29
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I like to have never got this flywheel off the spare engine I have. It is 30 years old and I doubt ever been off plus sitting outside for all those years.

I did spread the end some but I don't care as this old engine will never have oil injection again.

Now for the engine with issues. The flywheel has been off it I do think. The nut has had a socket on it .

The people that rebuilt this engine didn't know what they were doing or they would not have installed the piston backward plus all the other things I have found.

They stripped most of the engine mounting threads and like I said before did a scam job on the previous owner.

The pulser on my old engine looks like the mounting bolts are slightly off centered as shown in included picture. I cannot tell for sure as my eyes are not that good :) This is the way it came from the factory as this engine has never been messed with. Maybe someone can look at the picture and tell. I have the manual and will read more when I get time.

I won't be out much installing my pulser because his wires are a mess and have been taped all the way to pulser. I just want to make sure by eliminating this one part which it needs anyway. This is the 2 pg engine also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1004180901a_HDR.jpg (245.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #30
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I like to have never got this flywheel off the spare engine I have. It is 30 years old and I doubt ever been off plus sitting outside for all those years.

I did spread the end some but I don't care as this old engine will never have oil injection again.

Now for the engine with issues. The flywheel has been off it I do think. The nut has had a socket on it .

The people that rebuilt this engine didn't know what they were doing or they would not have installed the piston backward plus all the other things I have found.

They stripped most of the engine mounting threads and like I said before did a scam job on the previous owner.

The pulser on my old engine looks like the mounting bolts are slightly off centered as shown in included picture. This is the way it came from the factory as this engine has never been messed with.

I won't be out much installing my pulser because his wires are a mess and have been taped all the way to pulser. I just want to make sure by eliminating this one part which it needs anyway. This is the 2 pg engine also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coil.jpg (220.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO