lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
birddogg
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 starts fine then dies out and won't start back up

Gents, I'm looking for some much needed wisdom.

Long story short, 2000 EZ-GO, 295 engine. Have had this for probably 10 years now with no issues other than my godson flipping it over in the spring.
Regularly change oil, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, valve adjustment every year.
Just recently (after it sat for maybe a month or so) this intermittent issue keeps arising. Starts up no problem, runs for 5 or 10 min then all of a sudden loses power (almost like it's choking out) then won't start back up. After some time it does start again only to have same issues.
What I have done so far.
New fuel lines, filter, fuel pump - Definitely getting fuel
New plugs - Visual spark test looks ok by my eyes
New air and breather - Mind you i have been using an open element K and N for 10 years with a slightly bored out carb jet (I wasn't that bright 10 years ago)
Valves adjusted - FYI -The outer two had some gap while the inside two were tight
Checked compression both are mid 150's.

After valve adjustment ran great then symptoms started after a few minutes. Found the main breather hose was off as well. Replaced that ran great then wouldn't fire.

I'm at wits end right now, any sage advice would be greatly appreciated!

Josh
birddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2000 starts fine then dies out and won't start back up

After it shuts off and will not start, check spark!

I have seen coils work fine till they got hot, then fail
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
birddogg
Not Yet Wild

Gearhead thanks. I checked this morning and unfortunately it wouldn't start. I pulled plugs and they definitely were wet though. Laid them on the manifold and neither would spark. Put a wire tester on them and there was no electrical pulse running through them. 10 minutes later both were firing like mad lying on the manifold. I inserted them back in and no start, tester said no spark again. Pulled them out and they were damp with no spark. So I'm assuming the coil is either bad or I have a electrical disconnect somewhere. I cleaned all the terminals with electric spray but didn't see anything out of the norm. Id hate to buy a $100 coil if it's a connection. Any thoughts on where exactly to look?
I tried the OHM test on the coil but it's showing 0.0.

Thanks again

Josh
birddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Check that connection that goes to pulser coil. Wiggle it and see if it fires. You can test the pulser even though I never had one go bad. I have had several of those connectors fail though. It would fire one minute and then nothing.
I uploaded the ignition coil test from repair manual. Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0927181243a_HDR.jpg (218.0 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO