lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Jolleygreengiant
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Would like to slow my cart down

I have a late 90s has club car and i need to slow ot down to a much more manageable speed. Tje person that had it before me fixed it to run about 35mph. 5 to 7 mph is fine by me if you could help.
Jolleygreengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Would like to slow my cart down

First remove the rear engine cover. There should be an arm coming out of the top of the rear end with a couple cables on it. one cable goes to the accelerator pedal, and the other pedal goes to the carburetor. Make sure there are no zip ties on the springs for the cable. Lot of people zip tie the spring shut so it goes faster.

There are also a couple cable adjustments in the black plastic box next to the air filter. AGain, one of these goes to the gas pedal and the other goes to the governor. Ideally, the switch inside there should "click" basically as soon as you press the pedal, and start pulling on the cable once the gas pedal starts to press down about a half inch or so.

I would start there to make sure they were not monkeyed with. And I would doubt the 35mph claims unless they've done some pretty heavy modifications to the cart. The most a stock DS is capable of without some pretty significant work is around 18-20mph, and that's pushing it pretty hard.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If it was running 35 it probably has high speed gears in the rear axle. Changing those back to stock would make a big difference, and give you better power with lower speed. The gears themselves can be difficult to find, but you might be able to get the whole transmission for a decent price if you look around on ebay or check in the classifieds here. You would need to know which way your current engine/transmission spins to be sure you get the correct setup. If it has high speed gears you can get it to slow down some, but it may not be slow enough for your taste.

Does it have big tires on it? If it does, Smaller tires will also decrease the top speed.

Usually people going for all out speed put a zip tie on the governor spring to defeat the governor. If it has that, remove the zip tie so the governor works again and see if the speed is more tolerable.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Jolleygreengiant
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It has very large tires. Im going to say 20 to 24" tall.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Jolleygreengiant
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I adjuste to rod under the drivers floor pan to be as short as possible. Not much change there. Ive been told that the arms on the differential can be adjusted but im not sure of the sequence or direction. I just gave it a fresh rebuild completely and dont want to ruin my engine
Old 07-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It should say on the side of the tire what size it is. Tire sizes are shown as "Height x Width x Wheel size"

So for example, a 23x10.50x10 is 23 inches tall, 10.50 inches wide, and fits a 10 inch wheel. Going to a smaller tire would definitely help, but may look funny if it has a big lift on it. I would check the springs on the governor and cut any zip ties that may be present on the springs. There are no zip ties from the factory, so anything added should not be there.

There are some other adjustments on the throttle linkage rods that you can do to slow it down, but starting with the basics is best.

Are you able to post any pictures of the cart? What region are you located in?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Jolleygreengiant
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cant figure out how to post pictures. Working on it as we speak and cant seem to change the speed a bit
Old 07-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Jolleygreengiant
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The cable to the carburetor is stretched beyond belief. The tires are 22x11x10. The carburetor butterfly doesnt have any effect on how it revs. I can hold it in either direction and it still only has 1 rpm which is high. Can anyone offer suggestions
Old 07-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The governor cable that runs from the governor arm to the carb is supposed to be very loose.

If the throttle lever makes no change in the engine speed you have something else going on with the carb. Bad carb gaskets, or loose or missing parts internally.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Maybe the screws fell out of the butterfly and its not really moving, or there at all? I think I'd start by pulling the carb, cleaning and inspecting it really well.

I don't mean to insult your abilities by asking, but I'm not sure how mechanically inclined you are. we can help walk you through pretty much anything you're trying to repair on the cart. I've rebuilt more than one or two of these motors from the ground up But if its something you're not comfortable with, or you think you're in over your head, it may be best to either take this in to a shop, or sell it and get one that's more stock and hasnt been fiddled with. "Uncomfortable" can get you in deep and cause more headache and possibly damage by incorrect repairs than its worth.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car