lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
brodykmb
Not Yet Wild

Default My G2 reeks, stinks after it heats up.

Hello everyone. I pop in once a year or so. Always appreciate your expertise!
Halloween is coming up and my wife finally told me to do something about this darn gassy odor (it's not me) that my G2 puts out. It's so bad that people comment on it even. (once again, not me) It's that gas/exhaust kind of gross hot odor.
Plug is good. Carb is new. spark plug, check! New oil, check. Plug in gas tank is in. Gas cap is just fine. No leaks in fuel lines.
It does not seem to be running rich at all. I do however need to choke it for the first couple of minutes to get it warm enough. Could the fuel pump be an issue? That's kind of the last stop in my mind to take. I"ll be replacing the two fuel lines but I am wondering if the fuel pump may be the culprit? Hoping for some help so i don't continue to stink! thank you!
brodykmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
swm63
Gone Wild

Default Re: My G2 reeks, stinks after it heats up.

Possibly something in the muffler? Baffle broken, insulation, or something foreign...
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
brodykmb
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply swm!
You know, i was just trying to read up on here about the muffler and potential clogs. Thinking it's time for the ol' muffler BBQ? I see some guys take off the muffler and stick it on a fire and let all the old oil and other build up burn off. Anyone try thing with success? If I do the BBQ, how long do i let it sit on the coals. Man my wife already thinks i am a nut bag but this may really do the trick.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Does it smoke at all? Generally the muffler bbq is to burn out all the unburnt oil inside the muffler. Common in 2stroke motors because oil is mixed in with the gas, but also if you rebuild a 4 cycle engine that has been smoking for a long time, there can be quite a bit in there. I throw them in a fire pit until they stop smoking, let em cool off for a while and reinstall.

Does it smell like raw fuel? Or just regular exhaust smell? What plug are you running? Is the carb OEM or aftermarket? Is the tailpipe off your muffler sooty?
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Could be a family of mice.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
brodykmb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Does it smoke at all?
nope CP.. no smoke. It's all good aside from that darn reeking smell. So should I bbq or not? I am kind of wondering if i need to throw the $15 on the fuel pump to see if that it's not pushing enough through or not. Hell i don' t know.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I dont think bbq is gonna do anything for you.

What about the other questions?
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #8
brodykmb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I dont think bbq is gonna do anything for you.

What about the other questions?
well for records sake and this site i just ordered a new fuel pump and will try that prior to cooking a turkey on top of my muffler.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Check the breather hose that goes from the engine top to the airbox, it is the pcv more or less and if unhooked it really stinks like blowby. Otherwise unless something is leaking it may just be the exhaust. When they get worn they start to stink like eye burning exhaust and need a ring job. Another issue that is hard to figure out is the ignitor can go bad and they run hot and can smell, also if the cylinder cooling fins under the shrouding get all full of dirt they can run hot and smell. In that case it will be fine until its fully warmed up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I was plagued with exhaust fume smell in my G29. I solved the problem by extending the exhaust pipe to exit outside of the body just in front of the rear tire. No more fumes.....
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha