lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
93yamslammer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G9 Build Thread

Hello all at Buggies Gone Wild!! My name is Kipp and I have been lurking and learning for a while. I decided it was time to start documenting my build as I go along. There have been so many people on here already who have been so gracious to lend a helping hand and their knowledge to help me make decisions on this project. Thank you all for that. This is my first golf cart so please be gentle!

With that said, I have a 1993 Yamaha G9. It belonged to my father in law who purchased it new in 93. It was the lake house cruiser and after he sold the lake house three years ago, it has just sat and got no attention. He asked me a few weeks back if I wanted it and I happily agreed to take it off of his hands for free. It was not running, four flat tires, mildew and who knows what growing around and inside of it. I got it home quickly figured out a few things that needed fixing.

The battery was shot, I attempted to remove the terminals only to have both break in half. So a quick trip to the local parts store I had two new terminals and a battery. She fired right up but would not move. I started checking everything and saw the starter generator belt was slipping like crazy and dry rotted something fierce. I have one on order now to replace it. But I quickly adjusted the tensioner for the time being and got it to at least move for now. The air box is missing all but one strap to hold it down so I ordered those as well.

After a quick pressure washing and some engine cleaning (still gross but better than it was) I am ready to start modding. The front end had some old school round head lights cut into the body. Those are now ripped out and I will have to do some body work to close the two holes up and do a set of actual headlights for the cart. I am currently trying to decide on what lift kit I want to use. I have read multiple threads on the Jakes LT kit and the All Sport 7 inch lift kit. Both have their pros and cons but I am still undecided. Wheels and tires are still not selected yet. I am thinking 14 inch wheels and 23 inch tires. I found a set of Fairway Alloy Bullets that I really like but it looks like they are no longer made. I am also looking at some more pep in the step once the cart is running better and thinking of getting the Plowmans clutch kit. I am not sure what else I could do to make it run just slightly better but would like to do some very light off-roading and be able to climb hills with the fear of it bogging out or flying backwards and be the next video on Ridiculousness. But this build is really just to take around the neighborhood and enjoy it with the wife and daughter. Thanks again to everyone who has helped me ( The New Guy Ron) (J-Rob ) and (JClark) for a warm welcome here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (209.1 KB, 0 views)
93yamslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: G9 Build Thread

Best advice, when you're ready for a little pep, call don plowman. tell him what you want the cart to do and he will set you up with the perfect combination of parts to do exactly what you want, and more.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

X2 what CP241 says ; Yamaha + Don Plowman = Happy camper
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Don Plowman is the man!

Another piece of advice to you is unless you are getting something from Plowman, get OEM parts! So many people here fight ignition or carburetor issues and try to go cheap on the replacement parts which either don't work, or don't work right and its an endless fight.

The full service manual is available here on this site and the owners manual can be downloaded for free from Yamaha. Those are both great for info on how to do routine maintenance, torque specs, and on and on.

Here is a very helpful link to Yamaha's online parts catalogs, just choose 93 G9A, the G9E models are the electrics.
https://shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog...&dealernumber=

Partzilla.com is a great place to find most all of those stock parts.

I learned a valuable lesson recently with using a cheap replacement starter belt, it worked for 6 months and then crapped out on me. If you do your research you will find OEM parts such as belts, gaskets, and those sort of items are far cheaper than the Chinese replacements. Carbs, and Ignitions are a good bit more for OEM, but worth every penny if you need one.

In preparation for Plowman's parts, I'd recommend checking your factory engine mounts and the swing arm alignment cable (down between the airbox and starter). Also, make sure your airbox is completely sealed. Zip ties work pretty good until the new rubber straps come in.

Lots of knowledgable folks on this site, I was a newbie to carts back in October, but from the help of the members here and plenty of reading threads I feel like I could fix just about anything that could go wrong with my G2.

I look forward to following your build, G2/9s are sweet carts!

Edit: The OEM Belts, gaskets, etc. are ***slightly more expensive, but barely***
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

I'll be watching!

My old G9....
100_2209.JPG

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:48 AM   #6
grantspec
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROB View Post
Don Plowman is the man!

Another piece of advice to you is unless you are getting something from Plowman, get OEM parts! So many people here fight ignition or carburetor issues and try to go cheap on the replacement parts which either don't work, or don't work right and its an endless fight.
This x2!! Non-OEM golf cart parts are the worst. Avoid the temptation to buy them because they are cheaper. Just buy OEM yamaha when available and you wont regret it.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing more pics.
grantspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
93yamslammer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thank you guys for the feed back and tips. I will be sure to use OEM Yamaha parts. I know I have a ton of maintenance on the motor to do. The exhaust has saw better days and most parts need a real good scrubbing. I bought a belt from DIY Golf Carts for the time being but I will go ahead and purchase a true OEM one when that one takes a crap.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for aftermarket parts to support? I can not see any of the sponsors on here yet. But I would like to make purchases on the big ticket items through them. I should have my new steering wheel and adapter today. The stock giant one had to go.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Www.plowmanscarts.com
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
93yamslammer
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thank you CP, Plowmans website is now book marked. I wonder if I should go with his full performance kit. $450 is not to bad of a swing for some more ponies. Better than what I spend on Mustang parts to only gain minimal performance sometimes.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #10
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

I did the full plowman's performance kit on my G2, Jets, Belt, Clutches, Muffler. Depending on the condition of your clutches you may not need those. But man it made a night and day difference in the performance of my cart! Worth every penny.
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha