lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
LEEGMC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 not starting in reverse

Have a 1984 G1 I just bought would not turn over in reverse I replaced both solenoids now it turns over both ways but will not start in reverse. I have compression & spark runs fine in forward. Also turns over when I turn the key in each direction without pressing gas pedal but no spark till I push the pedal.I installed a new ignition switch also still does the same
LEEGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 not starting in reverse

somethings not wired up correctly for it to start without pushing the pedal

there is a "maintenance mode" for the G1 and that involves unplugging the black wire with white stripe at the CDI (ive also heard of doing this at the pedal switch?) then the cart will start by turning the key to either forward or reverse and hitting the pedal but the cart however will not shut off until you turn the key to the off / netural position.

check for compression and spark in both forward and reverse. check / clean connections at the stator near where they go into the block and check at the pedal and key switch.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
LEEGMC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

update: it starts in reverse but does not run fast enough to move like its not getting fuel runs okay in forward
Old 07-26-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
Go4snypr
Not Yet Wild

Timing maybe?
Go4snypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEGMC View Post
update: it starts in reverse but does not run fast enough to move like its not getting fuel runs okay in forward
Are you sure it's actually running in reverse versus the starter turning the motor making you thinking it's running very slowly?

These carts run the same way in forward and reverse so if your forward fuel flow is ok I would assume it's fine for reverse as well.

The first thing I would do is to the make sure you are getting spark in reverse. If not your cdi might be on the blink.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
LEEGMC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It has spark on reverse butit starts slow but speeds up but not enough to move
Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
LEEGMC
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Would the fuel pump work in forward & not reverse? I installed a new CDI and have spark & compression. Starts fine in forward
Old 08-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

You can test the fuel pump by removing the fuel hose at the carb and turning the engine over. Catch the fuel in a jar or cup of some sort. Test it in forward and reverse.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha