lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
Shadow3.0
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 performance

New g1 owner here. Building my cart to run on the street. Where I live in Kentucky its a mile to the nearest house. Stock ht. Wide tires. I am very familiar with 2 strokes and have built numerous 2 stroke outboards. Currently running a fuel injected 3 liter omc that turns 9000 rpm when propped short.
I have researched some of the posts and found a lot of info on the enticer 250 swap. I personally feel I will get a more tractable powerband by porting the reed valve motor.

Is the comet 94c my best choice for a clutch? Or can the stock one be tuned. I want to engage around 2800-3000 rpm

A mikuni vm34 works great on a blaster which is a 200. Seems like the right starting point here. Or maybe a vm30.

Does any one on here rebuild crankshafts. Mine is nice and tight but it is 40 years old. Dont want to spin this up and grenade it.

I am considering a blaster pipe. Although I see here several have used stock pipes.

It looks like there is plenty of meat to overbore the cylinder to 73mm which would net 245 cc. I will research pistons for a 72 or 73mm piston.

Not sure where the ignition timing is on this but I would like to look at bumping it up. Unfortunately that will also retard it more in reverse?
Lots of questions??
Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
Shadow3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 performance

I have done the Enticer swap and it really wakes that little 215 up. I used a Keihin carb, wasn't real fond of it. It did run pretty good, way faster than stock. I think it was a 32mm. I think 30mm or 32mm Mikuni flat slide would be a great carb for that engine. I think stock is like 20mm?

Sounds like you are wanting lots of speed. The issue is the clutch, as you pointed out. I used a 94c style and, to be honest, it sucked. Roller style clutches are the best, but the good stock clutch with the cross on the clutch cover is really pretty good. That might be your best bet if it's tight. If it needs a rebuild you can send it to Plowman's (see sponsor page). You can lighten the weights up in that clutch and mess with engagement but it's a real pain to take it apart all the time. I don't know of any other clutch that will be any better for that engine.

What I noticed with that swap is there was very little power in the lower rpm range, below 3000. For cruising around it was just fine, ran really really good up in the higher rpm range. I never got it tuned perfectly and moved on to a 4 stroke with low rpm power for pulling my mower and yard trailer etc.

The timing can be advanced, although that's out of my wheelhouse. I've read where some people have done it. Just not sure what kind of gains you will get from that.

The pipe? Don Plowman told me that a small cc dirt bike pipe would work, but it would sacrifice a lot of low rpm power and would interfere with proper clutching. He's been in the game a long time, lots of 2 stroke building experience. I believed what he said. Portine? He also told me that the porting on the Enticer cylinder is tuned for lower rpm as far as sleds go, so it would be a good swap for a golf cart as is. Any port work would start to take a way from low rpm power and narrow the powerband.

What you are about to do is venture into the land of the unknown. Basically an experiment. Glad to help in any way I can, but you probably know 2 strokes more than I.

Subscribed
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Shadow3.0
Not Yet Wild

Slonomo
Thanks for your reply.
Bottom end. If youve ever had the chance to ride a blaster with the vitos 245 kit you too would be sold. My blaster would run with 450s all day long. Reed valve motors only use the fuel they need where piston port motors feed whether ready or not. I am in the process of degreeing the ports now and will design my own map. The cylinder has a lot of room for improvement. Compression is king with 2 strokes as long as they have good gas. I would like to set this up around 150-160 psi. Run aces 4 additive and Klotz oil. Probably cut down a 250 head as the chamber is smaller.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow3.0 View Post
Slonomo
Thanks for your reply.
Bottom end. If youve ever had the chance to ride a blaster with the vitos 245 kit you too would be sold. My blaster would run with 450s all day long. Reed valve motors only use the fuel they need where piston port motors feed whether ready or not. I am in the process of degreeing the ports now and will design my own map. The cylinder has a lot of room for improvement. Compression is king with 2 strokes as long as they have good gas. I would like to set this up around 150-160 psi. Run aces 4 additive and Klotz oil. Probably cut down a 250 head as the chamber is smaller.
I used to race atv's when I was younger, I'm familiar. You have to understand this 215cc golf cart engine isn't a blaster engine. CC's do matter, but the 215 engine in the G1 has porting that is wildly different than the Blaster's design. The Enticer cylinder is a piston port, not reed valve. You're talking a ton of machine work to change the performance of the G1 cylinder. It's a very low compression engine.

You'll never get "blaster performance" out of a G1 engine. You'd be miles and hundreds of dollars ahead if you just swap a blaster engine in there.

Edit: with all that said, yes for sure you can get more power out of the G1, it's a very detuned version of the Enticer/Bravo style sled engines. It definitely can be improved a bunch.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
Shadow3.0
Not Yet Wild

Now theres a thought!!
Old 12-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Shadow3.0
Not Yet Wild

I understand fully what your saying probably find a happy medium in the middle.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I had bought a big bore kit off a guy for my G1. It was .080 or 2mm over Pretty sure it was a modified YZ250 piston and the ports cleaned up. That and the plowmans pipe it ran great. I did use blaster reed assembly and I think 107.5 main jet but I really feel like there was a lot more power to be had. IMO the stock intake and carb are the biggest hindrance of this engine making decent power. The blaster intake bolts up but is tilted down and to one side, on a lifted cart I think it would work perfect.

Plowmans rebuilds cranks.
A phazer piston modded can work as well which I think would be 72 mm but at that point compression is to high for the starter generator. But the 82 G1 engine is a low compression engine compared to all other years so you could look for a an 82 stamped J17 head that has a bigger combustion chamber.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The 250 bravo is another option but is not a direct bolt in. From what I told by sled riders the bravo engine has much more user friendly power band compared to the enticer engine. The G1 electric system is a direct install. Someone’s bravo conversion below

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=28893

There’s a decent Facebook page dedicated to these carts as well the G1 G3 group
I hope you do a build thread whatever route you choose
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Guys, I'll go on the record here.

I'm not saying the G1 can't be improved for more power. I'm saying that dollar for dollar, hour for hour, a Blaster engine will out perform the G1 engine any day of the week.

If you have machining tools and know how to port properly and it doesn't cost you much, sure it makes sense to experiment. I think you could easily get 25 hp out of a G1 215cc engine with an Enticer 250 jug, head, mikuni 30mm, and a pipe kit, and some port work. But most of that power will be above 4000 rpm with a Blaster/Banshee pipe. It'll run good, just not much going on at 2500-3000 rpm.

The G1 bottom end is built well enough to handle 7k, but probably not beyond that. Like most 2cycles, the harder you run, the more power they make, the shorter they last. Race bikes need top ends rebuilt several times in a season, and bottom ends once a year if they are taken care of.

I love two strokes. I have a 250 Trailboss and 400 Scrambler. The trail boss is stock and makes about 25 horse. It has plenty of power for me at 250 lbs. and I've had it on mx tracks and trails. The Scrambler 400 is piped and jetted and is a monster! It probably pushes 55 hp, it's almost uncontrollable. Now, those engines are so simple and compact, they would be a perfect powerplant for a G1!!! Now that's an idea!
Old 12-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
Shadow3.0
Not Yet Wild

Slonomo
Yes I have my own sporting tools mill lathe boring bar etc. I have ported everything from rC cars to fire breathing outboard drag motors. I will figure it out. So I compared my port map to a blaster there is enough meat to go there.i would like to get a phazer and compare it.i will be boring my jug to a phazer piston 72.5 mm. This will noet 245 cc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha