lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2021, 10:07 PM   #1
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Changing Valves

I have a Yamaha G9 that likely needs an engine rebuild. Before I do that, I am thinking I’ll check out the Valves. Do I need a special tool for that engine or can I likely go to an Autozone to get a tool to compress the springs. Any advice or guidance would be appreciate. Thanks!
Ktrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Changing Valves

The springs arent very strong, it's easy to press them down with pliers & remove the keepers.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
Ktrilla
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks!

I am going to dig into the maintenance manual. But if you are willing to share your perspective, is it a pretty easy process to change out the valves? I have never done it...

For reference, the cart sat idle for years. I think it was rolled over based on the body damage. When I started working on it the engine was sputtering and no real power. I opened up the valve area and found that the valve was off the rocker. I was able to get that back on and now it runs great but smokes like crazy. Everyone says (and for good reason) it’s a piston ring. But given that the valve was screwed up, i want to rule out a simple fix before I try to change the piston rings.
Ktrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:34 PM   #4
Jammy
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrilla View Post
I opened up the valve area and found that the valve was off the rocker. I was able to get that back on and now it runs great but smokes like crazy.
I am not sure why it is smoking and you can do a compression test to assist in troubleshooting the problem Also a leak down test may help.

As for valves...try setting them to 0.004 on both intake and exhaust when on the TDC of compression stroke!

Good luck.
Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:02 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
I am not sure why it is smoking and you can do a compression test to assist in troubleshooting the problem Also a leak down test may help.

As for valves...try setting them to 0.004 on both intake and exhaust when on the TDC of compression stroke!

Good luck.
These G2/G9 carts are known for oil rings wearing out after 30+ years, but the compression rings are still ok, so it wont have a terrible compression test score, will drive with ok power, and smoke like crazy.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:10 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrilla View Post
Thanks!

I am going to dig into the maintenance manual. But if you are willing to share your perspective, is it a pretty easy process to change out the valves? I have never done it...

For reference, the cart sat idle for years. I think it was rolled over based on the body damage. When I started working on it the engine was sputtering and no real power. I opened up the valve area and found that the valve was off the rocker. I was able to get that back on and now it runs great but smokes like crazy. Everyone says (and for good reason) it’s a piston ring. But given that the valve was screwed up, i want to rule out a simple fix before I try to change the piston rings.
It's not too bad, but I personally wouldnt bother changing the valves, (maybe the intake valve stem seal, which is pretty easy, none used on exhaust). I've seen so many old ones with worn out rings, (I've owned 2 smokers myself & 5 total), I quit with the bandaids, and just kept oil in it until I got rid of it. These were free carts, with huge amounts of hours on them & poor condition bodies too, so I wasnt sinking money into them. I just gave them to friends & family to use however they chose, with the info of what could be done to them.

I've rebuilt some & have worked for a yamaha dealer for 13 yr.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha