lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2021, 02:35 AM   #1
Atmosphere31
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 and G2 Mashup

Hey all!
My buddy has a G1 Gas kart, and I have a G2 Electric (non running, Big Block Candidate). We tossed around the idea of swapping the engine from his G1 into my G2 because the body of the G2 is better suited for being actually used for golf. Would this swap be possible in terms of getting the secondary clutch to hook up with the input of the rear end on the electric cart? I don't mind fabbing up some mounts and things of that nature, but I am limited when it comes to making splined adapters if I need to. Any input?
Atmosphere31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 and G2 Mashup

To do this, you will want to swap the entire running gear of the G1 into the G2, including the transaxle. Trying to use an electric transaxle with a gas engine isn't a project that works out that easily, usually more work than it's worth, and you will never get the correct performance if you use gears and chains.

Keep in mind that the G1 engine actually spins backwards to achieve reverse, there is no reverse gearing in the transaxle. So you would want to keep the G1 engine with the G1 transaxle.

So, is it possible? Sure. With time, effort, and money, anything is possible.

Edit: In my opinion it would be easier to find a G2/G9 gas cart with no engine and swap in a clone engine. Sell the G1 to fund that project. Just my 2 cents.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:09 AM   #3
Atmosphere31
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks for the info. I think swapping the whole rear end is the route we will take. Just trying to use what we have and I like a challenge [emoji16] I'll update if the project actually takes shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Atmosphere31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

This would take work if both were a G1 let alone a mix of anther model. The length of the swing arms are different as well as the chassis
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:09 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
This would take work if both were a G1 let alone a mix of anther model. The length of the swing arms are different as well as the chassis
Yes and the G2/G9 swing arm pivot mounts are slightly wider than the G1 and need to be shaved. So using the stock swingarms with the corresponding frame will be less work.

This drivetrain swap is quite an undertaking. But if you have all the parts, I suppose it's possible. If it were me I'd just fix up the better of the two carts and leave it at that, or buy a whole/complete cart in the version of my preference. Too much work for me.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha