lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Prairieguy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Home made g1 lift

I just picked up a G1 about a month ago and have been having fun with it. It does need some work though. Crank seals need to be done and some front end work. But up north where I am summer is short so I’m just enjoying it for what time I have left and will fix it up over the winter. I’m looking at doing a 6”or 7” lift. I know for the rear I will have to cut and modify the rear swing arm because of the clutch. I’ve been trying to find what most people are using for shocks as I would like as much travel as I can get. Most kits just use drop down brackets. I can get a set of new take off shocks from a 2018 rzr570 for $200. Rears are 19” and fronts are 16.25 inches. I’ve read people run Honda shocks on all 4 corners. But I’m wondering if these would work.
Prairieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Home made g1 lift

For the front:
Use the stock shocks and use spacers or reweld the upper mount. Atv shocks are usually too soft and create too much travel. The issue is that the single a arm system creates too much camber change when the suspension cycles. Not a bad thing when going slow off road, but at higher speeds that can be really dangerous and can create irratic handling. The stock shocks are only set up for around 1.5-2" of travel, which keeps the camber in check.

For the rear:
UTV shocks will be good and stiff for carrying loads (extra people, trailer, gear) if you need it, but it will ride rough. ATV shocks will work too. Space is the issue with these because the shocks are larger diameter and can contact the secondary clutch. You can relocate the shocks to the rear side of the axle to solve this issue.

In my thread you can see the trials and errs I made.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=58329

If you want the ultimate in handling, go with an atv front suspension. By far the best investment I ever made on my cart. Prior to doing this I had almost zero fabrication experience so if I can do it, anyone can. Over the years that cart saw heavy off road abuse and no welds failed and never had a suspension issue.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=60848
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha