lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Solenoid Rapid cycling

Ok, I've never seen this one before so need a little help.

2001 CC, multistep potentiometer for throttle, lever style F/R switch, single solenoid.

Here is the problem, when throttle is apply the solenoid cycles RAPIDLY.... so rapidly it sounds kinda like an air hammer. The motor tries to turn and run but with the solenoid clicking so fast it can't run right.

So my first step was to short the solenoid and the motor does in fact run even though the solenoid is cycling...

Second, it's NOT the solenoid, I have multiple solenoids of the same type, I replaced it with a known good solenoid, same problem.

Rapid cycling anyone seen this before? Could use some direction. Thanks
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid Rapid cycling

Is the voltage on the small posts of the solenoid cycling or is it getting constant voltage when you press the accel pedal?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One of your batteries is bad ...... you owe me a beer

Or one of your connections is bad ...... you owe me a beer ........ Either way your power supply is dropping out and .......... you guessed it = you owe me a beer
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes it is fluctuating, the highest it gets is 26v, the lowest is 18v, the clicking is way faster than the volt meter is registering the fluctuation.

This is one of the square solenoids, negative small lead is yellow, small positive lead is red, then you have the resistor, on the big terminals along with the big power wires, there is only 1 red small wire on the side that comes from battery.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm thinking Scotty is right.....

put the test leads on the battery pack and hit the accelerator, is the pack voltage dropping as soon as you hit the pedal? If so, test each battery in the pack with the meter while hitting the gas til you find the bad battery.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
I'm thinking Scotty is right.....

put the test leads on the battery pack and hit the accelerator, is the pack voltage dropping as soon as you hit the pedal? If so, test each battery in the pack with the meter while hitting the gas til you find the bad battery.
No lose wires at least on the batteries

Pack voltage = 50.7
Full throttle drops to 48.4

Each Battery
at rest full throttle
1 = 8.4 8.1
2 = 8.5 8.1
3 = 8.5 8.2
4 = 8.5 8.1
5 = 8.4 8.1
6 = 8.5 8.2

Not a battery problem.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

and if you don,t find a bad battery in cart rip that solenoid out and put a white/rodgers HD one in.........i have seen that soleniod you have cause some of the oddest thing to happen....................get rid of it....wouldn,t surprise me at all if thats all you have to do.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
and if you don,t find a bad battery in cart rip that solenoid out and put a white/rodgers HD one in.........i have seen that soleniod you have cause some of the oddest thing to happen....................get rid of it....wouldn,t surprise me at all if thats all you have to do.......................
Read the first post, not the solenoid already replaced it with a known good one.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OBC solenoid lock out failure? Have you tried running a jumper from the small ground post on the solenoid to the 48 volt battery pack ground?

Either that or a micro on the activation circuit is going bad......
Old 07-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if they are all the same square ones the black plastic, it still wouldn,t surprise me heres a short story and i kid you not this is the jest of it had a 97 reagan cart bad solenoid...............put 5 of that solenoid on the cart that were new right out of the box..........no good, had i used but i knew it was good white/rodgers on and bingo running cart.........and since that i just havn,t looked back, if you tried a W/R sorry about this but if you havn,t................ give it a try, it also sounds like your gonna need new batts? i would buy the whole set and be done with it................................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car