lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Hog Farmer
Not Yet Wild

Default 1994 Club Car charging voltage

Hey guys, my cc boiled the battery this weekend, went and got a new battery and checked the charging voltage at the battery in wide open throttle and it was 17.8 volts! I think that is excessively high,, would the voltage regulator be going bad??
Hog Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
papaw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1994 Club Car charging voltage

Here try this

1. Place the neutral lockout cam in the MAINTENANCE position, put the Forward/Reverse handle in the
NEUTRAL position, and chock the wheels.
2. Ensure that the wires are connected correctly and are tight. If they are not, rewire or tighten as necessary.
3. Check the engine RPM setting to ensure that it is correctly adjusted. See Engine RPM Adjustment,
Section 14, Page 14-12.
4. With the battery in good condition and fully charged, run the engine for several minutes to bring the voltage
regulator to operating temperature.
5. Turn the key switch to OFF, killing the engine. Using a multimeter set to 20 volts DC, place the red (+)
probe on the large post of the solenoid with the red and white wires crimped together from the voltage
regulator attached. Place the black (–) probe on the negative (–) battery post (Figure 11-28,
Page 11-25). Turn the key switch to the ON position. Press the accelerator to start the engine and run it
at full governed speed. If the reading is between 14.7 and 15.3 volts, the regulator is good. If the reading
is lower than 14.7 volts but rising steadily, check battery condition. See Hydrometer Test on page 11-14.
If the reading is lower than 14.7 volts and not rising, and the starter/generator is good; or if the reading
is over 15.3 volts and continues to rise, replace voltage regulator. See Voltage Regulator Removal,
S
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its overcharging.........shouldn,t go higher than 15.3 or so ..........sounds like a bad voltage regulator or the gen. side of the starter but i,ll bet the voltage regulator......................................... ...............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

most likely the regulator, but, make sure the wire between the regulator and the generator is not shorted out by being pinched against a ground or some such stupid thing. (If that lead gets grounded, it will full charge all the time.) Since you normally can't return a regulator if it does not fix the problem, be sure first.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #5
Hog Farmer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to everyone for all their help, it is greatly appreciated! Buy the time I received my new voltage regulator I was at 21.2v, just a lot on the high side. The new regulator is perfectly holding at 15.3v. Thanks again..
Hog Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

thanks for the update.........15.3 to 15.7 is the sweet spot......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
papaw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the feedback, glad it was simple fix.
papaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car