lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unhappy 1987 Ezgo Rebuild help with pistion rings on leaky rear end seal

I got a 1987 ezgo with a 2 cycle gas engine. The oil pump stopped working and burned up the engine. Imputing the motor back together this weekend and have a question on what what the rings go in. Their is a taper on one side of them. Does that taper go up or the taper side down? Also I'm going to get rid of the oil pump what gas to oil mix should I use for this motor. The last thing I have to do is the rear pinon seal is leaking , do I have to take the entire rear end apart or just take the cluch of and the seal out and put a new on in?
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 Ezgo Rebuild help with pistion rings on leaky rear end seal

36, the bevel goes to top. check the sticky at the very top of this forum. in it go to one with stars and scroll down. you will almost all you need for top rebuild there. on seal, don't know, i assume you would.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The correct ratio for your engine is 128:1. This makes your life very easy as there are 128 fluid ounces to a gallon. Therefore add one ounce to a gallon of gas and you are done. However two words of warning. 1. It is not sufficent to pour a gallon of gas into your tank and then an ounce of oil. You should pour the oil onto your container of gas and shake enthusiastically so that the oil and gas actually mix. 2. There are many many guys on this forum that will prattle on about how they use 40:1 or some such similar nonsense, avoid them like the plague, they also believe that the world is flat and that you can catch crabs off a toilet seat. 128:1 is not my opinion, it is what the manual states.

You can remove the rear seal without dismantling the engine, it slides onto the crankshaft from the outside. IMHO if you are going to do so you should probably change the front on as well and removing the engine is going to make your life a lot easier.

Good Luck
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

dave i don't like arguing, but if you look at the tag on the tank it shows a much thicker mixture
for the first tank- from then on you are good to go. don't have a pic but could if needed. as for the engine seals, it would be good advice to change those out as long as he is this deep into it.

BUT that is not what he asking. he wants to know about the pinion seal.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

oops yes indeed my bad. 40:1 for the first tank with a new engine and thence 128:1
I'm not sure if Sharse36 means pinion, from his description ",do I have to take the entire rear end apart or just take the cluch of and the seal out and put a new on in?" it sounds like a crankshaft seal. Either way I should probably stick to reading Mickey Mouse comics for the rest of the day
Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

Dave I take umbrage to this quote "There are many many guys on this forum that will prattle on about how they use 40:1 or some such similar nonsense, avoid them like the plague, they also believe that the world is flat and that you can catch crabs off a toilet seat."

I am one of those guys. Think about the 128:1 ratio for a minute, when these carts were new and used hole to hole on golf courses not trail riding for long periods of time generating alot more heat and wear than your normal 18 holes of golf.

I asked a local ezgo dealer and he recommended going with a richer mix if I was going to run extended periods of time. Comments like these are not needed. Good day.
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

GoTeeMan, I am sorry that you took umbrage although I don't understand why. Still you replied with politeness and respect and I will afford you the same courtesy. Nevertheless I believe your statement is fundamentally flawed. If you ask any auto mechanic what is more stressful on the engine, constant running or stop start motoring, they will reply stop start. The reason for this is, in part, that when the engine is switched off the cooling stops and the internal temperature rises. I therefore suggest to you that running on a golf course (possibly with a passenger and two sets of clubs) is more punishing than running a trail all day. As someone who went to the trouble of purchasing and reading the manual I stick to the manufacturers statement of 40:1 for the first tank on a new engine and thence 128:1.

I will admit that my statement about avoiding these people like the plague was somewhat tongue in cheek and I am sorry that you could not enjoy the irony. Still I believe my point is well made that there are many guys on this forum (and other forums) who really know squat but just want to see their names in lights, these people often offer incorrect statements as facts and should be avoided.

I have no interest in what ratio you run but I do know that running heavy on the oil will foul your plug more quickly and choke up your muffler but that is your choice. I did notice that you did not state what ratio you use so it is hard to see what value you add to this thread.

Finally I throw this thread open to the court of public opinion. Decide which is the oracle of truth, the EZGO manual or some parts jockey that GoTeeMan bumped into.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

tapping foot, arms crossed, staring at sky whistling and waiting to see how this whole deal pans out BEFORE I mix up my next tank of gas ... :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Haha BrewCityMusic get off the fence and nail your colors to the mast 40:1 or 128:1? What do you use?

Dave Box
Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

This is one time an honest answer really isn't going to help - when I bought my cart, i luckily figured out there was no injector system (this being my first cart) so i just guessed based on other 2-smoker motors I have ran in the past and was mixing at 40:1 ... HOWEVER, after reading the 128:1 a while back on another forum, i switched to a middle-of-the-road 100:1 and have run it successfully since, there's a LOT less smoke and it does seem to start better with the 100:1 ratio, although that could just be in my head.

Then again, until I nail down this electrical dilemna I'm having, it really doesn't matter as I'm not running at the moment - so I can either spend my time lurking here or staring out the window waiting for the UPS truck !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO