lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Workhorse Front Lift Question?

Hi all I have a gas 2003 ST 350 Workhorse, it had a factory lift kit on it and I thought I had it sorted because I researched on the other threads about lifts on Workhorses.

I was running 20 x 10 inch wheels & Tyres and I wanted to go 23 x 12 inch wheels and tyres. I put the rears on with heaps of room to spare but the front is a different matter. Wheels in the straight position no worries but if I try to turn the hit on the front fender.

I asked before buying and was told no problems! I also asked if I needed wheel spacers and was told no. Is there an easy / cheap way out of this for me I think I need about another inch or two to get total clearance and get lock to lock turning.

I really do not want to go 22 inch tyres or pay for a drop axel or spindles and I don't think that I will gain any clearance from fron spacers. So over to the BGW experts!

Is there a way I can block up under the front springs? I have put up some photos so you can see what I am up against.

Any help or suggestions would be great even some photos

Thanks

Aussie Workhorse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06535.jpg (73.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06536.jpg (101.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06537.jpg (95.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06538.jpg (106.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06539.jpg (53.6 KB, 15 views)
Aussie Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Workhorse Front Lift Question?

I guess, you could put the springs on the top side of the axle. You will need to make a steering adjustment. Who told you that 23s fit on a stock ST350? It certainly was not on this board.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I guess, you could put the springs on the top side of the axle. You will need to make a steering adjustment. Who told you that 23s fit on a stock ST350? It certainly was not on this board.
No Mate no one on BGW just a guy at the golf cart parts shop.

What's involved in the springs going on top of the axel? Just stuffs me how there is som much clearance on the back and not much on the front.

Aussie Workhorse.
Aussie Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mounting the springs on top of the axle will gain you 2+ inches like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1054.jpg (90.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1057.jpg (61.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
reinman88
Gone Wild

Don't mean to steal a thread, but could I do this to my 99 workhorse 800 series?

If so would I need new tie rods?

I looked at my cart and from the spindle to the idler, the tie rods slant down. Would they be long enough only slant up with the change?

Do you think I could go from 20 to 22 inch tires with this small lift? Also I assume moving the rear springs to the top of the axle will even things out a little.

I forgot, I assume shocks would need a change too.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Aussie, I know you have the 2003 WH but what front axle ? Is the steering box mounted to the frame or the axle ? And btw, I am trying to do the same thing with my 04 MPT 1200.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

IT does open a can of worms. There are spindle steering arm risers available. Most tie rods have enough extra threads to reach when installing a 4 inch drop axle, so yours should work. Shock extenders are available in 2" from auto parts stores. 22s should fit.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
Most tie rods have enough extra threads to reach when installing a 4 inch drop axle, so yours should work. Shock extenders are available in 2" from auto parts stores. 22s should fit.
Thanks.

I really didn't want to spend a lot of money for a lift when it wasn't going to do much for rear axle clearance. But if I can get the frame up a couple inches with little or no expense, and now use 22 inch tires, that wouldn't be bad.

In your picture, is that an extra plate with the round risers welded to it? If so, why the extra plate, rather then just putting the bolts inside loose risers between the two original plates.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The leaf spring has to bolt between 2 plates. You need a pr of extra plates and some black gas pipe cut to length to do what we did in the pics. We welded stuff together because we didn't want anything to shift on us with all the beating a front end can take. I am going to put that flip on a TXT today I'll get some pics and post an axle flip thread soon.....
Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
reinman88
Gone Wild

Quote:
The leaf spring has to bolt between 2 plates.
I was sitting on the couch a little big ago thinking about this and all of a sudden went, DUH, the spring has to be between two plates.

I notice your new plate with the black gas pipe welded on sits just a little over the axle. Was this on purpose, or were the pipes just a little long and kept the plate from hitting the axle?

Can't wait to get started on mine.

Aussie, hope you don't mind borrowing your thread for a bit. Looks like we might be doing the same thing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO