lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default G1 Carb question - possible missing seal? (pic)

I got my brand new used G1 Yamaha this week. It is my first cart. I am not a stranger to turning wrenches, but my experience with small engines is limited. I have been digging into the forum and trying to form a plan of attack on the cart. Today, I cleaned the carb up really good, and i noticed what I think is a problem. Where the gov links to the carb (see pic), there is a lot of play in the shaft that opens and closes the flap inside the carb (on the engine side). It looks like there should be some sort of seal around that shaft. Could that opening around the shaft be sucking in air? I am having to run the cart with the choke pulled out. It is under-whelming to say the least. I am BBQ-ing my muffler as I type this, and my air intake is sealed really good.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missing seal.jpg (68.3 KB, 27 views)
sontag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Carb question - possible missing seal? (pic)

The throttle shaft hole in the carb is worn/ loose causing an air leak and making the engine run lean. That is why you have to use the choke to get it to run. This is pretty common on these old buggies. Generally you must replace the carb to fix the problem, but I have heard of people fabricating a bushing to take up the gap. Maybe someone will chime in with a description of how they did it.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is what I was afraid of. I looked at the carb on my generator, and it was nice and tight at that location. I prob could fabricate a bushing, but the Phillip head screws holding the flap on the shaft are stripped out. I guess the old saying is true. Nothing easy is worthwhile. It is just too dang hot out today. I am going to spend time doing research this afternoon and work on my cart tomorrow morning.

If I replace the carb, is there an aftermarket version that is recommended?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have decided th Jb weld the hole closed, and redrill the opening for the throttle body shaft. I will document the process, and post results. I will start early in the morning. I figure I have nothing to lose before I buy a new carb.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

May be a faucet washer sanded to a taper that would fit the wallowed out opening
would seal it. you could slit it and slip it on.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
sontag1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice DOOmsman! I fixed it this morning, and I did something very similar. I am going to post a thread with pics that show the repair.
Kevin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha