lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
beebe31
Not Yet Wild

Question Forward/Reverse not working right after installing 4" lift on my G2

Hey guys, I just completed the installation of my 4" lift kit on my Yahama G2 and out on my test drive I found the my FORWARD/REVERSE was not working correctly. If im driving the cart in forward and stop then put it in "reverse", then accelerate, the cart will continue to go forward for about 10-12 feet before shifting into reverse. When it does finally shift it makes kind of a grinding noise. I looked and the cables all seemed to be moving freely. Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
beebe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Forward/Reverse not working right after installing 4" lift on my G2

I would say it needs the shifter cables adjusted. Not sure if there is some procedure to follow, I would use the trial and error method.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like maybe the cable stretches, and then pops back into place. Kind of like a coil spring when it is pulled apart and let go. This will damage the transaxle, so you need to correct it. Check the cable for any kinks or loose clamps. Although your lift isn't extreme, it may have the cable in a bind somewhere. Have someone operate the F - R control and watch the cable. It should be easy to spot where the problem is. A good lubing may help it too!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
beebe31
Not Yet Wild

Red face Re: Forward/Reverse not working right after installing 4" lift on my G2

I verified the cables where moving smoothly right behind the F/R switch but did not follow them all the way back. Where is the transaxle you mentioned?
beebe31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
SteveRand
Yamahaulin' CC Rider

Mixed Breed

You need to follow the cables all the way to the transaxle, which is behind the engine. They are spring-loaded at that end, so if sonething is binding, the F/R lever will move, but the shift lever won't.

See the lower part of the daigram for the shifter parts.

Hope this helps - keep us posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transmission.jpg (201.0 KB, 0 views)
SteveRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha