lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Allischalmersguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Leaf springs on a g1

Well I'm back!! Was wondering if anyone has ever put leaf springs on a g1 before? I'm wanting to have the rear end a little stiffer to have passengers ride and so I don't rub off the tires or bottom out. The springs on it are just not enough to hold weight. So I went and got a pair of 4 leaf trailer springs. I'm sure there's modification going to happen. Just need some ideas.... Any help would be great!
Allischalmersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Leaf springs on a g1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allischalmersguy View Post
Well I'm back!! Was wondering if anyone has ever put leaf springs on a g1 before? I'm wanting to have the rear end a little stiffer to have passengers ride and so I don't rub off the tires or bottom out. The springs on it are just not enough to hold weight. So I went and got a pair of 4 leaf trailer springs. I'm sure there's modification going to happen. Just need some ideas.... Any help would be great!
Wish you would have posted before buying the leaf springs. Your rear shocks must be very worn out, stock G1's had very stiff shocks. Better to by new or good used or some longer coil over shocks then to go with all the fab work of leaf springs. Just my .02 cents worth. If you do the leaf springs, please post some pix's and your evaluation after completion.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Allischalmersguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I had a friend who had some extra leaf springs laying around and it he was gonna scrap them out. So I took them off his hands for free!!! Bonus! I have thought about a stiffer coil over spring though. But it's not gonna take much to put on the leaf springs. Just thought I would get some ideas from here. Btw? Have you ever had a problem with the ramp shoe's? I just replaced mine and not even 10 feet in drive, they melt/broke right off!?!?! Frustrating!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allischalmersguy View Post
Thanks! I had a friend who had some extra leaf springs laying around and it he was gonna scrap them out. So I took them off his hands for free!!! Bonus! I have thought about a stiffer coil over spring though. But it's not gonna take much to put on the leaf springs. Just thought I would get some ideas from here. Btw? Have you ever had a problem with the ramp shoe's? I just replaced mine and not even 10 feet in drive, they melt/broke right off!?!?! Frustrating!!!
Never did the leaf springs, but I put some atv shocks on the rear. Much stiffer. Too stiff for me. I was wanting more travel, but they don't travel at all LOL . Anyway, I think I'd try that before the leafs, but that's just me. Is this a lifted cart?

As far as the ramp shoes go, I replaced mine last fall and have driven it at least 20 hours worth and no wear at all. How many times have you replaced? You could have an engagement problem putting stress on the shoes?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wink Re: Leaf springs on a g1

before you due to much look the writer information over page 7 in the blow link.
This is the best way to go I did it and have had 4 big lugs on it and a small tailor of wood.
thanks Kcnaz!

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...ighlight=kcnaz

Last edited by nwarren9; 05-18-2012 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: added note
nwarren9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Allischalmersguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks nwarren9, I'm thinking that maybe the way to go. Looks a lot easier too and not a while lot of time to do it. On another note, the clutch is w
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Allischalmersguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks nwarren9! Lots of great pics and info!!! Looks a lot easier too!!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Allischalmersguy
Not Yet Wild

Now I have a bigger issue..... The secondary drive clutch is worn out, hence the shoe getting melted off in seconds!! Does anyone have one for sale or spare parts? I need the one with the claw on it. Mine is worn out pretty bad, has a lip instead of being smoothe...
Old 05-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
nwarren9
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Talking Re: Leaf springs on a g1

The mistake I made is going to used parts on the primary clutch what i should have done was to bite the built and go for a plowman clutch> they are sponsors of BGW and are located in Flint Mi Call them . . Hope you think seriously about this clutch first

Go to youtube to see videos

Last edited by nwarren9; 05-19-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: spelling change
nwarren9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Allischalmersguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I live in webberville mi. About 30-40 mins from flint. Whats the name of them?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha