lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
tigerfire
Not Yet Wild

Default g16e cutting off and on

My g16e will drive fine for about 15-20 minutes and then start cutting off and if you hold the pedal down it will start back suddenly sometimes but mostly you have to let it sit for a minute or two. Seems to happen most if at half throttle or under a heavy load. I am new at this and have limited knowledge.
tigerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
jwhranger
Gone Wild

Default Re: g16e cutting off and on

Sounds like either controller is going out, or simply overheating. Are you either lifted with big tires, 4 seater, hauling a trailer, or going up steep hills at the time?

I have the stock controller lifted with big tires and a rear seat and if I creep along or go up really steep hills then mine does exactly what you describe.

However if I stay on relatively flat ground with the pedal all the way down I can run all day without overheating and having the controller cut out.
jwhranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
chefdave
Not Yet Wild

I have a G14 with a similar problem and I think it's the controller. You might go through these steps to check it out: wire an analog volt meter to the batteries (36 volts) and watch the meter when the cart cuts off. Mine held steady at 36v. If the voltage drops then you probably have corrosion on one or more of your battery contacts. Also when the cart cuts out, push the accelerator pedal on and off, listening for the solenoid click. If the solenoid clicks and the cart is still cut off - mine was - then the ignition switch, stop switch, and solenoid are working. If it doesn't click then it's probably the stop switch - you can access this by lifting out the floor mat and removing the center floor panel, then check the switch at the connector there (disconnect it first) with an ohmmeter. And the throttle sensor is probably okay too because I would think if it wasn't then mashing the pedal should have some effect. After all that I figure it's down to the controller and the motor. I don't think the motor would have this kind of failure mode, so must be the controller - which is a fairly expensive part - it's tough to shell out that kind of cash not knowing for absolute sure, but that's what I'm about to do.
chefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
chefdave
Not Yet Wild

I just got a couple of calls from experts and there's another thing you could try. When it cuts out try throwing the forward/reverse switch back and forth. If this gets the cart going immediately then it's probably the brushes internal to the motor. The theory is if the brushes are losing contact then reversing direction will jostle them back into contact. They told me that removing the motor to clean or replace the brushes is pretty easy - looks scary to me.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
chefdave
Not Yet Wild

Here's one more test to easily see if it's the motor or not. Use the analog voltmeter with extension wires to hook directly to the motor. Connect the positive test lead to A1 on the motor and the negative to A2. You'll need 2 wrenches, both 9/16, and one of them pretty skinny to loosen the nuts on A1 and A2 in order to slip the wires in there. I didn't have the wrenches so I stripped the ends really long and wrapped them in and around the contact posts. Set the meter to a scale that will show 36v. You'll see the meter show voltage in relation to the accelerator pedal. If it cuts out and the meter still shows around 36v with the accelerator fully depressed then the motor is failing. If the voltage on the meter drops out too when the cart cuts out then it's probably something else.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha