lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Jeremy74
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 EZ-Go surges

Hi new gas cart owner here. Just recently purchased a 1984 Ez-Go. The cart runs but the motor surges. I step on the gas it moves for a couple seconds then dies almost completely out. I jacked up the back end and with no load does the same thing. When I physically hold the throttle shaft open on the carb it runs normal. I also checked the fuel pump and seems to pump good. I dont want to tear the carburator down if I dont need to becuze it seems there are no carb kits out the. Sorry for the long post but I'm scratching my head as of now.
Jeremy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 EZ-Go surges

It sounds like the governor is acting prematurely. If it is still connected I would remove it and see if that cures the problem. If it does then you could do the same as 99% of all 2PG engine drivers do and leave it disconnected.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Jeremy74
Not Yet Wild

I dont want to sound dumb butwhere is the govenor on this and how is it connected? There are 4 cables to the carb. 1 is or the choke, 2 is for the throttle 3 is for the oil pump and my guess is he last is the govenor?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Unhook the oil-pump for the injection,they commonly fail and you lose the motor.Pre-Mix the gas and oil 1oz./gal.The cable from the carb to the rear-axle clutch is the govenor.Unhook it from the carb.Run the cart and see if it changes things.As stated earlier,everyone unhooks it,its' not going to make it dangerously fast.The carb would only need a kit if the bowl-gasket ripped.I've done a bunch of them and never bought a kit yet.Just try to keep from getting solvents or carb-cleaner on the bowl-gasket.It will suddenly grow and not fit.Make sure you use Torch-Tip cleaners in the passages,Jets,and remove the Mixture-Adjustment screw (make sure you carefully turn it in and count the turns so you can reset it the same after cleaning).Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Jeremy74
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the suggestions and information. I cleaned the carb and it seemed to help some. I get full power and then lose power and so on. Better but not cured. I wil diconnect the govenor and try that tomorrow hopefully. This has sat for a few years so im sure it is gas issues also. the battery looks pretty corroded would that by any chance be part of the surging problem?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If the gas is more than 3mos. old toss it.The ethanol attracts moisture(ethanol is alcohol(dry-gas) on top of the fact that the gas has a 2-3 month shelf-life.Refill with Premium,but before that,check the tank for sludge.No need to add crud to your new fuel.Also replace the fuel-filter and new-lines wouldn't hurt if its' been sitting awhile.Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Jeremy74
Not Yet Wild

Just an FYI the govenor was the problem. Now on to the next issue. Is there an adjustment to the throttle switch? It seems like all i can do is put the pedal to the floor. If i try to go half pedal it jerks real bad and you can here the switch. I havnt driven a cart in a while so I cant remember how it works.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The switch is mounted under the seat,under the driver on the foot-wall.Check to see if its' bent.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Jeremy74
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: 1984 EZ-Go surges

Just another FYI. I adjusted the throttle on te carb and now it runs likes a million bucks. Not bad for a $300 purchase. Its going to be a winter projrct to get it looking like new. Im glad I found this site I have been learning alot and I thank you for all the help. Im sure I will be asking more questions in the near future.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO