lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default CC 2000 FE290 Looses power going up hills

Hello everyone. Kind of new to all of this, but mechanically inclined.. I have noticed my 2000 Club Car gas fe290 looses power going up inclines. Not even big ones, even gradual ones.. On flat ground she runs good. I have recently replaced the clutch and belt and it has fresh gas in her. I have also checked the breather tube for the gas tank to make sure it is clear and also sprayed carb cleaner in the fuel pump on board little filter, the one right on the front of it, as well. Spark plug is new, fresh oil change and filter and also replaced the rear fluid.

I did notice on the last spark plug removed that it had some black build up on it. BTW, yes it has a lift kit on it and larger tires, I believe 23"..

It almost feels like the motor is actually slowing down.. BTW, it also has new fuel filters as well.

Any ideas guys ??
gatesjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: CC 2000 FE290 Looses power going up hills

You just need more torque since you have a lift and bigger tires and the smaller FE-290 and there are only a few ways of achieving it. I have a 6" lift and 23" tires and opted for the machined clutch, clutch power spring, and HD belt. Other than those options, you have to look at a larger motor, or some of the other less popular options.
mndanielsncsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndanielsncsu View Post
You just need more torque since you have a lift and bigger tires and the smaller FE-290 and there are only a few ways of achieving it. I have a 6" lift and 23" tires and opted for the machined clutch, clutch power spring, and HD belt. Other than those options, you have to look at a larger motor, or some of the other less popular options.
Well, I hear you, but this seems just a little odd to me. I mean, just a gradual incline and I can feel it slow like quite a bit down. That is all normal huh ??
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesjunior View Post
Well, I hear you, but this seems just a little odd to me. I mean, just a gradual incline and I can feel it slow like quite a bit down. That is all normal huh ??
It sounds about like mine ran before the upgrades. If I went up a slight hill it would slow down a good bit and a moderate to steep hill would have me crawling.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It sounds about like mine ran before the upgrades. If I went up a slight hill it would slow down a good bit and a moderate to steep hill would have me crawling.
O.k., fair enough. So where did you send out everything to get this work all done ??
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

Cart Parts Plus, they are a site sponsor. The clutch machining was $50, spring was $50, and the belt was $50. I'd say the machining had the most impact, followed by the spring, then the belt. They installed my spring when they had the clutch for no extra charge.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/perform...utch-machining

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-car-power-kit

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/severe-...car-drive-belt
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Cart Parts Plus, they are a site sponsor. The clutch machining was $50, spring was $50, and the belt was $50. I'd say the machining had the most impact, followed by the spring, then the belt. They installed my spring when they had the clutch for no extra charge.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/perform...utch-machining

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-car-power-kit

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/severe-...car-drive-belt
Thank you sir, so I guess this will be my next investment into this cart :-) So in your opinion. Big difference ?? Also, how long did it take them to turn it all around and get it back to you ??
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
mndanielsncsu
Gone Wild
Club Car

It definitely helped gain back some of the power I lost. If I have my wife and kid on it and I go up a hill, it slows down some but I can still get up the hill with decent speed.

You can see what others say, but I'm guessing they'll give the same feedback.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have to agree also but with one caveaut , he has a new belt and thats probably why he is noticing it more , the worn belt may have been smaller width causing the effect of the lift to be somewhat negated by engine speed increased due to belt wear , either way the cure is the same get it to tom at cpp and get it all fixed up and ride like the wind and even though your probably thinking that well you already have a new belt on it just buy the new heavy duty belt when you have it machined and spring, you'll save yourself some time and have piece of mind that it is as it should be.

as far as turn around I've seen some people get it 5 days some take longer , I would figure on priority mail for 3 days and 1-2 turn around and 2-3 days to get it back via ups. im in pa and order parts from them in GA and I usually get everything in 3 days via ups. i would try and get it shipped to them before thursday so that your only without a cart for one weekend
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesjunior View Post
An FE290 is only 9 ponies. By adding larger tires, you have basically changed the gear ratio. It would be like climbing a hill with a manual transmission in a gear higher than you should be.
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car