lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
miketuite
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: I Killed My G22E!

Update:

I wiggled the wire and nothing. I took the cables off, cleaned the battery terminals and the cable ends, put it all back together and I'm still reading 42V across the pack on the multi-meter. The cables had nothing obviously wrong, but I'm not a practiced eye.

The charger is after-market (Listronics), and I don't see anything that would tell me there's an error/fault. I just plugged it into the cart and the meter is reading about 20A.

I'm sorry that I keep coming back, but I really appreciate your help. If nothing else, you guys are teaching me a lot of things I didn't know.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike
miketuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
ma_tty_d
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketuite View Post
Update:

I wiggled the wire and nothing. I took the cables off, cleaned the battery terminals and the cable ends, put it all back together and I'm still reading 42V across the pack on the multi-meter. The cables had nothing obviously wrong, but I'm not a practiced eye.

The charger is after-market (Listronics), and I don't see anything that would tell me there's an error/fault. I just plugged it into the cart and the meter is reading about 20A.

I'm sorry that I keep coming back, but I really appreciate your help. If nothing else, you guys are teaching me a lot of things I didn't know.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike
No problems at all, that's what the forum is for

if your charger is pumping 20A into the batteries, then my assumption would be that they along with the wiring between them is fine. however, I can suggest a few things that might help further:

1 - when put on charge, what is the voltage reading across all batteries, this will make sure the charger is still functioning properly.

2 - is the multimeter ok, I've had experience with multimeters giving false information, sometimes even correct values at lower voltages, and the higher the voltage the worse the calibration is, one check is to pop the bonnet of a car and put the meter across the battery when the engine is running, it should give you about 14V. If you get 14V then the meter should be ok

3 - check the batteries from one end, in series working your way up, for example, on battery 1 you should read 8.5V, on batteries 1 + 2 you should read 17V, on batteries 1 + 2 + 3 you should read 25.5V etc etc. please post the voltages when completed, this will identify and issues in cabling between the batteries, or if the meter is losing its calibration at higher voltages.

4 - with the multimeter in Ohms, from one end of the red cable going to the power switch to the other end, make sure its not high resistance, do this for the other cables at each point. I believe that even if one sensor or switch is malfunctioning then the cart controller won't power on.

hope this helps.
ma_tty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
miketuite
Not Yet Wild

ma_tty_d,

Thanks once again. This topic has now become academic. The shop picked the cart up this morning for upholstery work, and I told them to fix the electrical problem. Nonetheless, I wanted to close the loop with you.

When tested separately, five batteries read 8.6V and one reads 8.5V. That's a total of 51.5V.

When I checked the batteries in series starting with 1 and two and adding one battery at a time, I got the following results which I find interesting.

1-2: 8.5
1.3: 17.3
1-4: 17.2
1-5: 34
1-6: 43

If you subtract the 43V from the 51.5V, you get 8.5V. I'm math-impaired. but that can't be a coincidence.

With the charger plugged in, the total across the pack is 51.1V. I didn't get to test
the multi-meter on a car battery, nor did I do the ohms measurement.

Interesting, huh?

Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #14
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are you sure you don't have one battery reversed on the connections?
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Something's up with #4 it's either reversed or dead. Looking at your reading
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
miketuite
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, guys. I cleaned the terminals the other day. I thought I had connected the cables as they were, but maybe I screwed it up. It's in the shop's hands now.

Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
ma_tty_d
Not Yet Wild

I agree, it looks like battery 4 is the issue! cheers for the info Mike, keep us updated with your outcome :)
ma_tty_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If all of the batteries read good separately, then you have them wired wrong. They need to all be in series minus to plus.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
miketuite
Not Yet Wild

There's the problem. I wired them minus to minus. I'll stop into the shop tomorrow and see if they've figured it out. If not, I'll be looking for a new mechanic.

I really appreciate your help.

Mike
Old 08-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I'm sure that's the problem!
Sometimes the simple stuff is the problem...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha