lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
wish2fish
Gone Wild

Default 2002 EZGO governor question

getting ready to tighten up the govenor spring. When I got back there I found there is a spring attached from the front cable to the govenor arm. It is somewhat a lightweight spring that appears to hold the govenor arm toward the front of cart. I couldn't snap a picture but I have taken one of ruredy pictures and place a blue line where the spring connects. Do you think this is some kind of governor overide? With the lift and 23" wheel upgrade I was able to get around 21 mph gps. Can I expect much more? It does seem to slow down at times which I assume is the governor kicking in still.

Any comments or suggestions at this point would be appreciated.

wish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 2002 EZGO governor question

I would guess someone put that spring in there to try an shorten the lag time of the gov kicking out. not a bad idea if it works.
You won't get to much faster than 21mph, I have got them up around 24mph but without a gear change it doesn't go any faster. This is cause the rev limiter doesn't let the engine spin faster.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
wish2fish
Gone Wild

Jon,
What happens is the cart will get going really fast then slow down. I have never had a GPS on in when this happens but I would say that that I was reaching that peak around 24mph then it will really slow down to around 15-18 mph. I guess that is when the governor kicks in! I will try and get it on gps and possibly some video.

from what I have read on here as well. I should go ahead and make sure the accelerator cable is adjusted properly before I do the governor?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish2fish View Post
Jon,
What happens is the cart will get going really fast then slow down. I have never had a GPS on in when this happens but I would say that that I was reaching that peak around 24mph then it will really slow down to around 15-18 mph. I guess that is when the governor kicks in! I will try and get it on gps and possibly some video.

from what I have read on here as well. I should go ahead and make sure the accelerator cable is adjusted properly before I do the governor?
Yeah the gov. works that way, the more you tighten it, the less it will do that. couldn't hurt to do the throttle cable. Sometimes they'll start to backfire a little when letting off the gas if the cables not adjusted right, after a gov adjustment by itself.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
wish2fish
Gone Wild

have had a little backfiring so I will adjust the throttle cable and then the govenor.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
wish2fish
Gone Wild

I adjusted the governor and still have about 1/4 inch of threads left to tighten. Performed much better. Topped out at just over 24mph and when it slowed down it wasn't as bad but was around 18.1 mph. That was on a long down hill runs. When I took it on a long flat run the speed stayed up but I don't know what it was because my gps ran out of battery. Overall I'm happy with the adjustment.

Had some backfiring after a long run and stop so I probably need to look at that throttle cable.

thanks for the help
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
cruzer555
Not Yet Wild

In that picture, does the arm go right or left to slow it down???
cruzer555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Eric_GT
Not Yet Wild

I adjusted the governor on my '04 TXT to 50% and now it makes the throttle extremely touchy at low speeds. When I press the pedal it seems to be all or nothing which is a pain when trying to drive slowly around our pond.
Do, I need to adjust the throttle cable? I am guessing I need to place some slack in the throttle cable.
Eric_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer555 View Post
In that picture, does the arm go right or left to slow it down???
it'll pull back to the right to slack up on the throttle cable going to the carb. If you tighten the nut it'll not let that happen depending on how much you tighten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_GT View Post
I adjusted the governor on my '04 TXT to 50% and now it makes the throttle extremely touchy at low speeds. When I press the pedal it seems to be all or nothing which is a pain when trying to drive slowly around our pond.
Do, I need to adjust the throttle cable? I am guessing I need to place some slack in the throttle cable.
yea, there's a bunch of places to adjust it, the pedal box under the floor mat is the first along with the micro switch that starts the engine. the other end of the first cable right before the rear, then there's a pile of them around the engine on each end of the rods. some carts, if the linkage is wore, its kinda hard to get that perfect setting and still have wide open throttle.
If you haven't done this already.... A shorter drive belt will calm the touchy throttle and let you run extreemly slow. it'll also help keep the clutches engaged on the downhills so you don't have to depend on the brakes as much. I have a thread about them in the tech section.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
idahosnoman
Not Yet Wild

My 2001 EZGO TXT needs to have the accelerator linkages adjusted. Is the a procedure on how to do this properly? I did notice that the long linkage just above the starter/generator belt has a flexible piece in the middle of it. Any idea why? I am ordering a new one because it flexes to far and is rubbing on the belt.
idahosnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO