lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G16 - Does not move after 3 week charge

I recently replaced the stock controller on my Yamaha G19 48 volt electric cart with your Alltrex DCX400G19. Also upgraded the Solenoid to a 650AMP with resistor and diode kit. Plus replaced all wiring with 4-gage upgrade kit.

All purchased from D&D motor systems on 09/9/2013:
400 Amp - G19
Controller : 400 Amp - DCX400G19 T-ON
Wire Kit : Yamaha - G19/G22
Wire Kit : Yamaha - G19/G22 - 4 Guage Complete Upgrade Kit
Solenoid-36/48V- up to 650 AMP
Solenoid Kit-36/48V-upto 650 AMP-SW180-Resistor & Diode incl
Programming Kit

The cart was working perfectly after the upgrade for about 2 weeks (the batteries are about 2 years old). We parked the cart with the Yamaha charger connected for about 3 weeks. When we returned, the cart would not move (forward or reverse). The voltage on each battery tests at 8 volts. The Voltage across all batteries tests 48 volts. The head/tail lights, horn, blinkers and accessory items work. The Solenoid clicks when we turn the ignition key to on, then after about 10 seconds, the Solenoid clicks again (a slightly softer sounding click than the first). When I push the accelerator pedal, there is no Solenoid click. The only Solenoid click we hear is when we place the ignition to on, then the softer second click a few seconds later. The controller LED light is solid green.

Connected the Computer to the controller and checked the gages. Set the monitor to continuous and the voltages were fairly consistent at 48.1 – .5 volts (see attached monitor log). You can see when I plugged the charger in for further testing the voltage which changed to 49.7 - .8. However, the Output and Battery current are at zero. Also, there are no error flags. I had been also stepping on the accelerator during this period. I didn’t recall if there should be at least a battery current reading (number) even though the cart will not go.

Here are the troubleshooting steps taken so far:

1: Toggled the tow/run switch with the ignition switch both on/off. The Solenoid clicks when we turn the ignition key to on, then after about 10 seconds, the Solenoid clicks again (a slightly softer sounding click than the first).
2: Batteries voltage test good (individually and across all batteries).
3: The Controller reads solid green light and displays expected information when the computer is monitoring it.
4: I was able to modify and save controller settings.
5: I disconnected the batteries and reconnected them verifying the cables and connectors were tight.
6: I verified the Solenoid red 10-amp fuse was good.
7: I disconnected the accelerator micro-switch and verified it was working (with ohm meter) and reconnected.
8: I tried to test the Solenoid voltages. However, I was unable to disconnect any cables from it due the batteries being so close. I did use a volt meter and measured 48 volts from negative battery terminal to both large posts and the 4 smaller connectors on the side of the solenoid. When in tow mode, no voltage (zero volts) is measured.
9: There is no reverse buzzer (was not installed when I purchased the cart). Not sure why this would be relevant but may be worth mentioning.
10: The Yamaha charger appears to be working correctly, plug it in, and the lights go through a series of flashes until it stops at the red “charging” light. Several hours later, the green (fully charged) is on.
11: I did check the fluid levels in the batteries and all were normal.

It seems like there is no current flowing, but the battery voltages are good. No idea if a controller issue, Solenoid or battery. Both the Controller and Solenoid are brand new and were purchased as an upgrade kit.

So – to recap, the Cart was running perfectly. We parked it, connected the charger and left in that state for 3 weeks. When we returned, it would not run. Could something have happened to the batteries during the charge time? Any suggestions? Could this be the controller? What should I test next?
Attached Files
File Type: zip G19ALLtraxLog2.zip (174.5 KB, 0 views)
dsliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G16 - Does not move after 3 week charge

My subject line cart model was incorrect. It's a G19... sorry for any confusion... It was late and I was frustrated with this cart issue!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Spoke with Alltrax (BTW, awesome support staff)... To isolate the issue, they suggested the following troubleshooting steps:

Step 1:
On the controller PIN bank, count 5 pins from the green LED and place the positive lead of the voltmeter in Pin 5, and place the negative lead on the B+ controller terminal. Should read zero volts until the accelerator is pressed. Then should read the full battery bank (48 volts). If successful, go to Step 2.

Step 2:
Move the positive lead of the voltmeter to pin 7 of the controller pin bank. Should read 48 volts and it should go to zero volts when you press on the accelerator.

This will verify the controller is receiving the accelerator signal.

One final validation to verify of the accelerator pedal (microswitch) is working and take the controller out of the loop. Disconnect the large black connector from the controller. Find the brown wire and connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to it (Negative Lead on battery ground). It should read zero volts until the accelerator pedal is pressed. then if working correctly, will read 48 volts when Accelerator pedal is pressed. If the reading is zero, troubleshoot the wiring and microswitch to the pedal.

Will be testing these steps tonight and will update with results.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G19 - Does not move after 3 week charge

Testing Results:

Step 1:
On the controller PIN bank, Pin 5 read zero volts and did not change when the Accelerator was pressed.

Step 2:
On the controller PIN bank, Pin 7 read 48 volts and did not change when the Accelerator was pressed.

Step 3:
This verified if the Acceleration pedal is working.

Disconnected the large black connector from the controller. Find the brown wire and connected the positive lead of the voltmeter to it (Negative Lead on battery ground). It read zero volts until the accelerator pedal was pressed, then it read 48 volts when Accelerator pedal is pressed. So the Accelerator pedal is working.

So now - Not sure what to test... I verified the Accelerator pedal is working, but the controller does not seem to be responding to the input. Could this be a bad controller?

Additional:
I also tested the Solenoid to verify it was working and it appears to be fine. I disconnected the load connection (Cable from the Solenoid to the B+ battery terminal on the controller and also the resistor). Then using the voltmeter, Connected positive lead to the load connection on the solenoid and the negative lead to the Negative battery. When I turn on the cart, the solenoid engages for a second (per Alltrax, when you turn on the card, the solenoid will engage for a few seconds, then disengage - 2 clicks - and then wait for input signal from controller). During this time (1st click), I read 48 volts until is disengages (second click), then read zero volts. There is no accelerator signal getting to the Solenoid to activate it.

Any Further Ideas?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is not activating when you press the gas - the controller is not getting B+ power until the solenoid clicks, it should click on and off with the key, but it should also click each time you press the gas. ( this is a bit of a guess as not all sepex systems run this way but Ezgo PDS does) In any case test your solenoid operation - your problem is likely in the activation circuit. To activate you must have + and - present on the 2 small posts. Simply place test leads on the 2 small posts and press the gas (key on, in gear) you should have pack voltage. If not it may be as simple as a bad wire connection or faulty micro switch.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks, I have attached a picture of the SW180 solenoid and connections. I get 48 volts on the Red/White Wire and Zero Volts on the Black Wire. See attached. remember, I have tested the accelerator wire going directly into the controller (Brown wire off the large connector) and it does measure 48 volts when I press the accelerator, and zero volts when I release the accelerator. However the controller does not appear to recognize this input when the accelerator is pressed. Meaning, the input of 48 volts from the accelerator connector into the controller works, but the controller does not output the correct voltages when the accelerator is pressed on pins 5 and 7 (no change).

Also - the cart was working perfectly when we parked it. No changes to wiring, etc. After 3 weeks on a charge (using stock Yamaha charger), the cart will not go. However, the Solenoid does click when you the turn the key on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid Picture.jpg (67.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The battery voltage you posted for your pack is low !!! 48 volt
Below 50%soc should be 52 at 100% SOC, also what if there is issue with throttle
(Its) circuit (micro switch bad or loose wire ) just a thought
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 AM   #8
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am fairly confident the accelerator micro-switch is fine. However, have not tested the throttle potentiometer, so is a possibility. Also considering that I just have a bad battery. For me, given the situation (working fine one day, then after charge, will not go), that would make the most sense, but I am far from any training or professional on this too. I do have a new set of batteries to test with (a friend just recently replaced his G19 batteries and is willing to let be borrow them for a test) so I will also try that and have my batteries tested at autozone while at it.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Okay, so I replaced the batteries with a brand new set and still have the same issue. I also respliced the connections that had to be modified to install the DCX controller. So, I have verified the wiring splices are fine. Also, I verified the throttle microswitch and potentiometer are fine.

So, during this process, I found another clue that may trigger a thought. While I had the batteries disconnected for a day, when I reconnected them, the cart works until I toggled the key switch (off the on), then the cart goes right back to the same problem. I tested this again and was able to repeat this symptom.

1. Disconnect batteries and let sit overnight
2. Reconnect them, and the cart runs when I turn on the key. Both forward and reverse work.
3. Turn off the key and back on again, the cart will not go. Same problem, the solenoid clicks when you turn on the key (then a second click) but the cart will not go nor will the solenoid click when the throttle is pressed.

It's like something in the controller is causing this. Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
dsliman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Worked directly with the Alltrax support team on the phone today while I was at the cart. They determined the controller needs to be replaced. So processing an RMA now with D&D Motor Systems.

Will follow up after the new controller is installed.

BTW - this DCX400 controller upgrade with new Solenoid and cables using the stock motor increased the speed of the G19 Yamaha from 12mph to 24mph. We also registered the cart as a low Speed Vehicle (LSV) and is now street legal. So I am looking forward to getting the cart back on the road with the replacement controller. D&D Motor Systems provided great advice and guidance selecting the correct parts needed to make this thing go much faster!

Tags
alltrax 400, good voltage, solenoid clicks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha