lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
johnk4jmk
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: What to look for when buying used?

I might be jumping the gun on this subject,but anyway i have a 2004 g22 with 6-8v's I have been clocked at ocen lakes at 17 mph but i regulary ride 15-20 mile rides at least 2 to 3 times a week,before i bought that cart i would check the dates on the batterys at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart 004.JPG (139.5 KB, 0 views)
johnk4jmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mine boss aka wife's 2009 drive is being dropped off on sat. I had them put new batt's in its has 4 12 volt ones.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think when I need to replace mine, I will go with the 6-8V
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
reinman88
Gone Wild

With all the talk about 6, 8, or 12 volt batteries, and having gas up to this point, I have a question.

I understand if for some reason the batteries get down too far the 48 volt charger won't charge them, so you need to use a small charger and get them part way up.

With 12 volt you use a standard charger, and putting 2 6 volt batteries together again the standard charger works. But what do you do when you have 8 volt batteries and need to get some charge in them so the 48 volt charger will take over.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My advice -- do not get 12 volt option for batts . - poorest choice for life span and range , 8 volt is okay , but I would go 6 volt option for max. Range and battery life span , it's worth the extra money , go with the highest amp/ hr batteries you can afford , --- as for 8 volt problem if pack drawn down to low
-solution -do not let pack be drawen down in the first place lol
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
My advice -- do not get 12 volt option for batts . - poorest choice for life span and range , 8 volt is okay , but I would go 6 volt option for max. Range and battery life span , it's worth the extra money , go with the highest amp/ hr batteries you can afford , --- as for 8 volt problem if pack drawn down to low
-solution -do not let pack be drawen down in the first place lol

Yep, maintain them. Dont let them get that low. Damage has already been done. First, you need to understand how they are hooked up in a chain (series battery config. 6x 8v =48v) Manually charging them is a small challenge (it can kill your "automotive battery" charger). Hook two adjacent batts at a time to the 12v charger on its lowest amp setting for 15 mins. , than do it again to the other two pairs like you did the first "pair" to bring them up a little. Then the original cart charger may start-up and try to do a normal charge. You could ruin the car battery charger tho. It may take several unplug-replug charge cycles with the cart charger to fully charge them. These batteries may have no hope for recovery. If you dont like this idea, take it to a dealer, and let them do it. If it works, start off with short trips, so you won't be far from home if you run out of juice. If they take any charge, they will improve some after a few trips/charges cycles. It is a 50/50 crap-shoot, they may be totally trash and not even take any charge at all. I am not of the crowd of "dont even try, trash them", but, if 18 holes of golf every day was in your plans, plan on opening up that wallet for some new batts.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #17
reinman88
Gone Wild

I understand not letting the batteries get too low, but nothing in this world is 100% and things happen beyond our control.

I'd read quite a few time where advice was given about charging with a standard charger to get them started so the main charger would work. And I understood how that could be done with either 6 volt or 12 volt. I was just curious how it got done with 8 volt.

Thanks for the info.
reinman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #18
kjewer1
Not Yet Wild

A 16v charger could be used on 2 batteries, available in the drag racing world. But, they're not cheap (~200-300), and most are electronic and might have the same issues with not wanting to charge a really low set. My particular 16v charger will attempt to charge with as little as 4 volts at the battery. I have no experience with 8v batteries (mine are 6), just wanted to mention the 16v option in case it might be useful to someone someday. :)
kjewer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha