lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Default 93 Carryall 2 plus, no spark

Hey guys, back again.
I have a 1993 Club Car Carryall 2 plus, key start cart in the shop today. Hasn't ran in over a year. Did some routine things, changed plug, cleaned carb, changed oil and filter, replaced battery and changed air filter. After I changed the battery it started right up. Blew a little smoke but sounded pretty good. let it idle for a little then went to go drive it and it died. (because it's a key start the motor was still spinning just not running.) Pulled the plug, had no spark. Disconnected the rev limiter but that didn't do anything.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for all and any help.
cameron
TheFlash16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
dmi518
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 Carryall 2 plus, no spark

i just had the same problem with a carryall someone put a motor in. i did just what you did. there is a small black wire that slips on behind the rev limiter that was falling off. squeezed it so the connector would hold and its been fine since.

maybe worth a shot
good luck
dmi518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Thanks dmi,
I am not well known with club cars so as I was looking for this little black wire I found that this cart has been toyed with. I took a picture of the "Ignitor" and the solenoid. Maybe someone sees something I don't?
Thanks
Cameron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140522_121900.jpg (153.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140522_121906.jpg (208.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Been reading on BGW, searching and searching and finally found a couple people that were experiencing the same problem and changed the coil, on the inside of the fan cover. So I took mine out, I also saw that there are no tests to check if the coil is good or bad. Does this seem like a good idea to replace? It's only 60 bucks, but I'm just wondering if my symptoms could be caused from a bad coil?

forgot to mention.... When i had it running it ran really good.. no doubt about that but after driving for a little it would just shut off. I turned the key switch off. and started it back up and it drove fine again. then I had it idling in the shop in neutral and out of no where the spark just stopped. after cranking and cranking I got spark again and it ran.

Thanks guys,
Cameron
Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Anyone?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

bump**
Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #7
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've never worked on a carryall, but have worked on several DS's. When you installed your coil (assuming you purchased a new one?), did you use a feeler gauge to set the distance from the coil to the flywheel? I don't have the exact specs with me right now, but that may be an issue. You may want to also take some emery cloth and lightly sand the contact on your flywheel.

I've rebuilt a 93 and a 94 DS that had both been sitting under trees in a pasture for years and never had any issues with bad coils. May just be lucky, but I'd definitely check the gap. It's very close to the flywheel, but it shouldn't be touching the flywheel. Again, need a feeler gauge to set.
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Thanks Robbie! Finally someone replies. LOL

Yes I did buy a new coil and ignitor. I took a wire brush and started the cart and ran it on the fly wheels. Cleaned it up really good actually, and I replaced the coil. I didn't use a feeler gauge but it didn't seem like I really had a way to move it closer or further away to the flywheel. I cranked it, still no spark. Decided what the heck and changed the ignitor. What do you know, it fired right up. Ran for 30+ minutes no issues. Starts everytime (remind you this is KEY start) and has no running issues.

So I hope this helps someone down the road,
And Robbie thank you for the reply

Cameron
Old 05-30-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Great! Glad you got the problem fixed! Where is the ignitor on the carryall?
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Most all Club Car ignitors (from 92 to 96) are mounted under the rev limiter on the lower front of the engine,
(97 and up, the ignitor is integrated with the coil)

I kinda like the idea of Flashes (or previous owners) remount to the snubber bracket,
usually, ignitors are generally the first thing to go bad, and that provides an easy access for replacement,
However, I think it would be better suited to be mounted somewhere on the engine rather then the frame for proper grounding!

I'm glad you got it figured out flash!
IF there's a "next time"... change the ignitor FIRST before going though the hassle of changing out the coil!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car