lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
hittman290
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 98DS-gas, Arc at Pos Term

So my battery keeps going dead. I have a cart that idols. Originally I disconnected the black wire on the bottom micro switch, but then reconnected it when I read it kept the solenoid firing. So... but it never made any difference, the cart continued to idle... what the heck... dumb, probably? So the Battery goes dead several times and I believed it was a slipping generator belt as I can hear it slipping. But with a dump kit and 26 surgeries it meant pain so I kept putting it off. So, the batt keeps going dead so I'm forced to tackle it. I finally tightened it... but first had taken out the solenoid and voltage regulator to visually inspect and check the solenoid for continuity, as I didn't find the "how to test" post until after. Seemed simple enough. Couldn't get continuity between big poles only the small??? Having no idea what that meant, I said WTH, dusted it off a bit and put it back in to try it again. It fires right up. So after charging the battery, it immediately goes dead. i notice on cranking I'm hearing a slight crackle sound. Getting closer I see a very tiny arc at the main Pos terminal of the battery. This I know is NOT normal... QUESTION- did I wire the solenoid back together wrong, I don't think so, (the 98 solenoid manual photos seem to be missing?? or i'm an idiot, searching for a simple shot of the electrical box and solenoid I cant find anything.... at least that a half blind man can see (literally)... or is the regulator or solenoid shot?? just as originally suspected? Is the regulator putting in too much juice into a already charged battery and causing the arc-if thats even possible?? Is a microswitch the problem, both?? There was a couple times I had nothing, no lights, no notta. I figured the battery was dead, but now I know its not. It turns over and crackles and may even start but i'm chicken to go any further as the cart is literally my wheelchair. I know I should have tested the voltage but I didn't have a meter and live too far to take it anywhere. Any ideas??? Won't someone please help a poor blind spineless idiot. Twenty-six surgeries and counting... time is pain. Oh and the arc doesn't seem to go anywhere just crcakles around the terminal, which I retightened.

Last edited by hittman290; 06-02-2014 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: thumb typing
hittman290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 98DS-gas, Arc at Pos Term

ok ... not good on gas buggies
but maybe this will help
check your wires first
make sure all grounds to frame are good

Old 06-02-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
hittman290
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the reply, fell asleep on the job. Everything looks right on solenoid. I hand checked the frame and generator grounds, so I'll take em off tomorrow. Could that cause such a thing? The diagram doesn't show the 3 blk grnds to the VReg post, but I'm half blind. But i don't think I screwed any of those up cause they really only reach to their OEM positions
Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
crash test dummy

lol ....yea it does in a way ...the main ground to the frame , the voltage regulator and the #1 limit switch ... all 3 can be wired to the frame or neg battery post
Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
hittman290
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Cool Re: 98DS-gas, Arc at Pos Term

Hey Dude, thanks for your input, plus I gotta make some friends on here. The problem was a stupid little snipped wire end shorting on a solenoid wire... nearly impossible to see for a Ray Charles clone. But I also need a new generator. I think the bearings and brushes are both shot; it's 97 OEM, squealing, slipping, and i've gotten everything out of the belt, plus I saw it actually stop, so... bearing and brushes. Scratch and dent for $86.00. ...another question... I know you're an elec cart guy, but have you ever encountered anyone on here who did the backwards rotating engine swap??? Reverse for Forward...??? I soooo want the 16 hp power, had I known Kawasaki would actually build a pathetic engine like the fe290, I would have never bought it. Dependable, but an engine that if you tweek it, it blows up??? C'mon, when I was 17 Kawasaki broke more spines and bones with the first 13 second sportbike -- the KZ1000. So I read on here that Vegas Carts was on top of this... but then the thread goes dead? I called and thery're not doing it, not enough interest. I think that was a very bad business decision..., everyone may not see see the post about it to sign up immediately, but like their other 440 clone, THE MARKET IS THERE, and they're already getting engines built. Almost 20 years of wrong way spinning Club Car's is a big chunk of the market!!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
crash test dummy

no sorry ..i have seen a few where they put in a quad engine but the build is very difficult
here is one i follow cause he is near me and i've seen the cart

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/bike-...-club-car.html

Tags
solenoid? v.reg? idiot?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car