lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #51
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1988 Ez GO Marathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrouch023 View Post
Yep. They have discontinued darn near everything on this 88 model. Seems like everything was specific to this year and now that it’s older they’ve decided it’s not worth their time and money..sucks. That’s why i just had my old muffler welded back up. Heard the muffler and carb go hand in hand on this so maybe that must be the power issue with the new muffler. Drives much better with it off but it’s too loud and I’m pissing off all my neighbors lol.

Sorry didn’t see that question. But, no, the spring was on my original throttle cable that melted when the cart overheated and luckily I saved it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess since nobody has an other ideas for the getting hot issue, I’ll be wrapping my exhaust pipe with a titanium heat shield wrap and also putting reflective heat liner underneath the seat. It’s not the best for the motor and could cause issues down the road but I’d rather rebuild the motor for $200 down the road than having the cart melt the gas can and blow up on me.

Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #52
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks for the bad news of the no spring dang it. I'd say wrapping that exhaust pipe should help your situation, think I'd also go ahead and use some of that seat heat shield on the wall between the muffler and gas tank......

Were you able to return that new muffler? If not what are you going to do with it? I might be interested in getting a new one for my 85
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #53
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Ok, thanks for the bad news of the no spring dang it. I'd say wrapping that exhaust pipe should help your situation, think I'd also go ahead and use some of that seat heat shield on the wall between the muffler and gas tank......

Were you able to return that new muffler? If not what are you going to do with it? I might be interested in getting a new one for my 85

Sorry. Next time I go to the local dealer by me I’ll see if I can get my hands on one for you.

What kind of heat shield would you recommend for there? Also trying to figure out the best heavy duty stuff to staple under the seat. I just wrapped the pipe with titanium and this stuff withholds up to 2500 Degrees F direct heat. Would like to find something as heavy duty for the seat.

I haven’t had any luck with the returns. When I go back to the link I purchased it from, it says it’s for an 83-87 so it explains why it didn’t work well on mine. Thought about just putting it on EBay for $100.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #54
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I like that heat tape stuff, I see you wrapped the muffler too. You might not even need any heat shield elsewhere, under my seat is just a piece of galvanized sheet metal screwed to the plywood and only just above the muffler. Pretty much where your burnt area is.......

You might be able to sell that muffler on Ebay for that, probably worth a try.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #55
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
I like that heat tape stuff, I see you wrapped the muffler too. You might not even need any heat shield elsewhere, under my seat is just a piece of galvanized sheet metal screwed to the plywood and only just above the muffler. Pretty much where your burnt area is.......

You might be able to sell that muffler on Ebay for that, probably worth a try.

Thanks! I did wrap the top of the muffler. Might end up doing the whole thing since I have extra left. Need some bigger clamps to secure it to the bottom part of the muffler. Seemed like it definitely cooled it down a bit.

Oh ok nice. I have some of that laying around actually. I have a buddy welding/cutting me a piece to fit in between the muffler and old original heat shield and it will also bend over the top of my gas tank for extra protection.

I will give it a try. That’s about $10 less than I paid for it and only drove it once or twice with it on!! :)

Old 06-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #56
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I looked under my seat again, that heat shield actually has a thin layer of foam under it. Appears to be the one sided sticky insulating tape usually used on the top of a truck rail to cushion a topper, perhaps a couple washers on each screw behind the plate to create space would be a good idea too.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #57
bluschek
Not Yet Wild

I fixed the backfiring issue on my 1988 Marathon by taking a spring from a ballpoint pen and placing it on the throttle cable connection. It allows the micro switch to click on when you hit the gas pedal. So, when you hit the gas you'll hear the micro switch click before you see the throttle open on the carb. My engine sounded like a cannon going off when it backfired. Hasn't done it since.
I'm having the same issue with losing power goint uphill. It seems like it started when I changed the idle adjustment on the carb to the recommended 1.5 turns open from closed position. I've tweaked it to 2 full turns open and it still seems to be having the issues.
bluschek is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO