lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
wdw140
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Make one motor from two?

Have 2stroke with bad internal starter,have another 2 stroke external starter,but piston stuck in cyclinder.was wondering if I could use bottom end from the newer model,and top end from older. Also can you wire up to crank from key switch,instead of pedal micro mine are fried.thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (230.3 KB, 0 views)
wdw140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Make one motor from two?

it depends on the year of the Internal Starter engine - if it's 1980 or newer, the top end will fit on the other lower PROVIDED the lower is 1987 or earlier (if the old motor is pre-1980 or the new is 1989 or up, then You're out of luck either way) ... If the new engine is a 1988 then of course the exhaust and carb will have to stay with the newer motor.

And yes, You can bypass the pedal microswitch provided You swap out to a "stall" clutch or spring (which will allow the cart to idle without moving) ... THAT will (depending on what year the clutch is) run You about $60-80 (if your clutch is one the springs are available for and You are capable / have the tools to remove the clutch and install the spring, plus about an hour or so's work if all goes well) - if there is no spring available for your clutch then a new one with a higher RPM engagement will run You about $300-ish. NOW, a new pedal microswitch, however, is about $7 and 5 minutes to replace ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Also, just a thought, but the internal starters that fail are generally a $12 set of brushes away from working fine again ... Also a brand new complete top end kit with cylinder, piston, rings, etc ready to go is around $150-175 for the newer motor, if You decide to start swapping things around it'll entail almost that much in gaskets, etc .

Personally, I'd try a cheap set of brushes in the old motor and just rebuild the newer one, that way You have a brand new motor and a running older spare.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
wdw140
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Already checked brushes are good,stator is shot.internal starter is 79 external is newer has plug on top, i guess I'm s.o.l.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Pull the bad top end and see how bad it is? May be able to hone bore, knock down the high spots on the slug, ring it & zing it.
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
wdw140
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Going to have to bust piston to get cyclinder off
Old 11-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a top-end rebuild, my friend. At least it's an easy job (about an hour front to back and no special skills or tools needed) - and of course, by "easy job" I mean AFTER you manage to get the old top end apart and off, LOL, sounds like a real mess.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO