lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2009 RXV gas won't start

As the title states I have a 2009 RXV model E-Z-GO which I purchased new. I have has some issues the last year or more with the cart not responding to the gas pedal. Toady she stopped dead.
First I will try and explain what I have noticed over the past 18 months or so... When we are out in the yard we normally leave the key turned on and jump on the cart and go. Some times the cart would not respond and the operator would have to stomp on the gas pedal or flip the directional lever from forward to reverse to get the cart to go. It seems that whatever was the intermittent problem is now a permanent one... and I don't want to just buying parts until I get it to run again.
I am thinking first of the solenoid but the directional lever has me at a loss as to why we had to switch back and forth until we got the cart to move.
Any input would be appreciated!
NoTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2009 RXV gas won't start

Cart should try to turn over no matter where that lever is. Break out the volt meter. Lock the cart in neutral by putting in neutral and spinning the lockout pin so it won't shift. Pull the solenoid cover and check for voltage on the two terminals with the pedal pushed. If no voltage start checking backwards until you find what is bad. If moving the lever made a difference I would also check the harness directly below it for wear.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Cart should try to turn over no matter where that lever is. Break out the volt meter. Lock the cart in neutral by putting in neutral and spinning the lockout pin so it won't shift. Pull the solenoid cover and check for voltage on the two terminals with the pedal pushed. If no voltage start checking backwards until you find what is bad. If moving the lever made a difference I would also check the harness directly below it for wear.

I was thinking the same thing, no matter which position the directional lever is in I should get the motor to turn over... That is why my first thought was the solenoid.
But as for putting the cart in neutral I don't have a neutral, only forward and reverse.
As for the solenoid I have my hour meter hooked up on the solenoid and usually as soon as the engine would turn over the hour meter would come on and start working: It is NOT functioning which again points to the solenoid. I will check with an electrical tester tomorrow to see if the other side of the solenoid is getting power, but pretty sure it is not since the hour meter is not working.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You don't have a place for neutral but it is there. Put the handle straight up and on the linkage under the seat there is spring loaded piece that looks like an arrow. Pull that out and spin it 180. Rock the handle back and forth and it should lock in the middle. Pull it back out and spin it back to release it.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
NoTyme
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I tested the power to the ignition switch and it has power going into it, and when the key is turned on it has power going out. I could not find a micro switch but if I listen closely I hear a clicking sound with each press of the gas pedal from the area of the solenoid. I finally jumped across the two terminals of the solenoid and the engine started to turn over... Sounds like I need a new solenoid.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Check the small wires going into the solenoid for 12 volts when the pedal is pushed. If you have voltage the solenoid is bad.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO