lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Default Where to go from here

I just purchased a 2012 EZGO cart. I purchased it for a song, and was able to get it running very quickly. It runs good and I am ready to invest some money into it to make it mine. Please bare with me, I know nothing about carts!

My first question/comment is that I have to do something to the suspension. The engine runs well, and it is fast, but it's like riding a goat! On pavement it's ok, but in the yard and gravel road, it will jar your teeth loose! Can anything be done to soften the ride?

Second, the steering linkage must be worn. It darts back and forth with the slightest touch of the steering wheel. Anything I can do here?

I probably should have lead with this, but the cart will be used around my place for general transportation and light work. My shop is about 1000 feet from the house, joined by a dirt road. My wife wants to use the cart to pick up sticks, and work around the yard. The cart is the utility type with a dump bed.

Any suggested links or ideas are welcome. I have done some searching on this site, but so far I have not found the level of detail I am looking for. I have confidence in my mechanical ability, but this is my first cart. I don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Cheers!
jb-mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Where to go from here

cart.jpg

Here is a quick picture of the cart. It is stock at this point.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

I'd check the front end for anything loose and make sure you have about a quarter to have inch toe-in
on the front wheels. Looks like you have street tires on it? Might consider a lift kit with larger ATV
tires that you can run lower pressure in (8 lbs or so), makes for a softer ride.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Any recommendations on the lift kit? I have done some googling and think I would want a long travel lift, 6 inch. My cart is the 2012 Terrain 250.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Jake's and All Sports are the most popular, long travels are the best.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

We drive our cart as slow as a donkey ride so suspension compliance isn't an issue. But ours has 22" all terrain tires on 8" diameter rims. Lots of cushion in those sidewalls at 7-12psi. Avoid the 8" diameter rims if you want speed. The sidewalls are a little much. I would get 10" rims for a bit more stability and retain most of the compliance. Avoid the 12" or 14" rims if you want a soft ride. Tire sidewalls will be very short.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the recommendations. I will reach out to Jakes to see if I can get a match on for my cart. I am really not looking for speed, just a comfortable ride.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:40 AM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Old 03-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #9
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

ok, I have ordered new tires, wheels and a lift kit for my cart. I went with Jakes long travel and 10 inch wheels. I should be good after this!

Question:
The details for the Jakes lift say that I have to replace my hubs with aluminum ones if mine are steel. Does anyone know why? Just wondering. It looks like I might have steel ones, but I have got to pull the tire to make sure.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #10
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just stick your head down by the front axle and peek at the hubs from the spindle side. Aluminum hubs will be bare silver metal unless someone has painted them. Or touch them with a magnet to be sure.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO