lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
whiskeyrun
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 ezgo gas runs in reverse no forward

Hello everyone I have a 1984 ec25-2pg cart compression is at 120 slowly died out on me the other day and I pulled the plug to check it and found a small piece of what looked like carbon fouled metal stuck in electrode removed it and cart ran fine for a few minutes then died pulled plug again same thing thought maybe a piece of ring broken, so pulled motor apart to check rings they look fine, I could see the crank bearings they looked good also, so reassembled and now the cart runs in reverse with a little choke applied but will not run in forward sounds like a ball bearing or something rattling inside behind fan ? is it tear down time for crankcase?..any and all help appreciated
whiskeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 ezgo gas runs in reverse no forward

When you say you can see the crank bearings you must mean the bottom rod bearing on the crank?? You can't see the main crank bearings without removing the seals or splitting the case, Since you're hearing rattling behind the fan side perhaps that main bearing is coming apart..

I just had to rebuild mine due to bad crank bearings, The fan side was worse. I had no idea they were so loose till I was removing the clutch.....

You might give this a try,
Remove the starter belt and pull up and down on the clutch. If there's any movement in the crank then the bearings are bad, When I did that on mine I could see the fan moving up and down about a 1/4". That could be the rattling you're hearing, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
whiskeyrun
Not Yet Wild

Hey Dabble inn , yes you are right all that I could see was the rod bearing to the crank so it looked good so back in the cart it went thinking that maybe the piece of metal I found in the plug was from the exhaust since it is wiped out sounds like a bowling ball inside of it when you flip it up and down ...lol and now i have this problem well the motor is out and im looking into breaking it down and checking bearings which seems to be the culprit I do have movement in the clutch .... quick question how difficult to replace these bearings and seals ...pressed in or not any help would be appreciated...also I dont have a manual so been kinda shooting it off the hip did find some torques for the head and all
Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

When you put it all back together these are the things to remember.

Loctite, and stake the seals in.

The rings go bevel side up with the ends wrapped around the alignment pins in the grooves.

Your pulsar coil should be centered on the mounting screws.

Most important is that the hole in the side of the piston faces the intake side.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 85-EZGO(2) (1).pdf (6.71 MB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
whiskeyrun
Not Yet Wild

Cart around .....Thank you Sir for the pdf it will come in very handy, been looking at parts and prices hopefully I can press these bearings off and replace them without the help of a shop......any and all input is greatly appreciated ......thanks
Old 10-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Yes the bearings are a pressed fit, both in the case and on the crankshaft. There's two on the clutch side and one on the fan side, I did mine the old fashion way without a press.

I wasn't happy with the quality of main crank bearings that came in the kit so I sent them back and bought locally from a bearing house, They were some cheap Chinese no name brand that were very rough right out of the box and .0015" over on the OD.......

Here's a thread on my rebuild that may help you http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...e-rebuild.html
Dabble Inn is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO