lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2018, 08:36 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Steps for starting an en engine that has been sitting a long time.

Pull off the head and you can use the wooden end of a hammer to try and tap on it some. Also allows you to spray WD40 all the way around the edges and try to get in where the rings are. But if it's that seized up then there is probably some pretty significant pitting in the cylinder walls from the rings rusting to the cylinder. If so, then the motor will probably need to either be bored out or replaced. If not, sometimes a hone will be sufficient, it just depends on how bad the walls are scored.

If you can't free them up by just taking the head off, then it's time to pull the motor and start taking it apart.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I bought a cart the had been sitting outside with the carb. off.

One cylinder was filled with water a sized up. Took a few days of filling up the cylinder with WD40, but I was able to free it up by turning the crank back and forth ever so slightly. once it moved kept up the back and forth motion with lots of WD40 to remove the rust on the walls.
If you force the pistons to move to much or all at once, you will just brake the rings!
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
epa4wd
Not Yet Wild

I will give it a shot. I started removing everything on the weekend to pull out the engine but didn't have the right size socket for the 8 bolts holding the engine. I wont be working on it again until next weekend. I'll spray it everyday till then and check again on Saturday.
epa4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I would sit it on the workbench . Hurts my back bending over these things. :)
I take mine out with an air wrench with a 5/8 flex impact socket. The 8 bolts will come out fast that way :) cheers
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #15
dacheedah
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I agree on getting the motor to the work bench. If water got into the cylinder I would suggest cracking the case and take a peek inside to see what the main bearings look like. I would not force anything quite yet. An impact screwdriver and sockets works wonders, Penetrating oil and some fine mineral oil will be helpful, take it slow and work with it.
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO