lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
colenter
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart jerks but doesn't move

Hello,

I have been messing around with with my cart over the last year or so. I have replaced all the batteries and all cables. The cart jerks when in hit the gas but doesn't actually move. I have a voltimeter that I hold on the batteries and the voltage drop to almost zero then almost immediately goes back up to 42. (Sorry I should have said I have a 48 volt cart).

At this point I can't figitout what else it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to answer as many questions as I can as I need to get this running at our campground.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
colenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart jerks but doesn't move

42 volts on a 48 volt battery pack is beyond dead. Dropping to zero under load is another hint. How old are batteries? You may be lucky and have just one dead, but not knowing 42 volts is toast says they are either really old or were not properly maintained, or both.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Theflyinglineman
Gone Wild

I am no expert but it sounds like a battery issue. You said you replaced the batteries. Did the cart move when you first replaced them?
Theflyinglineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
colenter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick responses.

4 of the 6 batteries are 1 week old, they all show 8 volts. The other 2 are less than a year old. I had them stored for the winter unfortunately I didn't a battery tender for these so they just sat in my basement. I have it on a charger right now so hopefully when I get to the campground ok Saturday it will run.

I'm hoping you are all correct and it is just the batteries being dead.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What is make, model and year of cart and which drive type does it have?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colenter View Post
Thanks for the quick responses.

4 of the 6 batteries are 1 week old, they all show 8 volts. The other 2 are less than a year old. I had them stored for the winter unfortunately I didn't a battery tender for these so they just sat in my basement. I have it on a charger right now so hopefully when I get to the campground ok Saturday it will run.

I'm hoping you are all correct and it is just the batteries being dead.

Thanks.

8.00 volts is dead.

Tell us the age and history of each battery. Were they all bought new and are they all the same make/model/Amp-Hour rating? After charging has completed with a real golf cart charger turning off automatically - a tender is almost worthless - tell us what each battery reads to two decimal points, 12 hours after charging has completed. A good 8 volt battery should read 8.49 or so, depending on brand.

After answering JohnnyB's questions and those above, a history will really help us. Did you buy it new? Did it ever work? What caused it to stop working? Does solenoid click? WHeels turn while on jack stands, etc. Here's how to tell drive type.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
rbane
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like one of the two batteries you didn't replace may be bad.
rbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
colenter
Not Yet Wild

Good Morning,

Sorry for the late response.

It is a 2011 EZGO.

4 of the 6 batteries were purchased 2 weeks ago and are interstate batteries from Costco. The other 2 batteries were purchased last May and are also from Costco.

I won't be able to update the status until next weekend as the cart is at our campground.

The cart worked great until last year when I made a huge mistake and didn't take the original batteries home for the winter. They froze and split. Since then I have been chasing this thing. I replaced the split batteries, but didn't realize I got very old batteries as replacements. Also over the summer I had my battery charger stop working. It wouldn't work even on another cart. I have since replaced it.

The solenoid does click, the wheels turn freely I had to push it off my deck where I store it for the winter.

I believe I have the Sepex system. We have the push button forward/reverse, not the lever.

I hope I answered all the questions, and thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a TXT-48, which is a sepex drive system.

Hopefully, you've been putting the Run/Tow switch in the Tow position when disconnecting and reconnecting batteries (or any other electrical stuff). Not doing so can take out the controller.

Take a handheld voltmeter with you next weekend and connect it to the main positive and main negative terminals on the battery pack.

What is the voltage?

Next, try to drive cart while trying to drive cart.

What did the voltage drop to?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO