lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Default Re: Best Option for ST350 w/Blue Smoke?

option 5. You did not say what weight of oil or when it was changed last or if you see much blow by out the valve cover vent. Sometimes insuring the crankcase vent is working properly, clean and change to a nominal weight oil (10w40) may help. Oil is cheap and as trig123 pointed out with some good options vs. oil consumption, you could also take your money spent on the old cart and buy a newer one.
chrisr32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I didn't see any oil on the outside of the engine.

There is a serial number in the right glove box. Ends in 94, and the Internet says that's the year.

I don't want 23 HP; the cart works just fine with 11 or whatever. More power would be useless on lumpy ground.

I suppose I need to find out whether the crank and block are okay. Is it just a matter of opening it up and looking for damage?
Futility Vehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I was just editing my post to option 5 telling him he can just run it and keep a check on the oil. I run 10w30. He could do as you suggested . Worth a look

I own a 2003 workhorse that smokes a bit. I have used it for a while now and no issues yet. Well my wife uses it and I keep a check on it. Little smoke don't hurt anything. You know things are being lubricated

If the cart stops smoking then pull over and add some oil . I have seen these carts run with only a tiny bit of oil in them and they churn right along. Best engine ever made in my opinion. The old Pre-MCI's are tough
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futility Vehicle View Post
I didn't see any oil on the outside of the engine.

There is a serial number in the right glove box. Ends in 94, and the Internet says that's the year.

I don't want 23 HP; the cart works just fine with 11 or whatever. More power would be useless on lumpy ground. You and I agree on that one. Fix yours . I bet all is good inside. Put 2 new intake valves in it with rings, gaskets and seals.

I suppose I need to find out whether the crank and block are okay. Is it just a matter of opening it up and looking for damage?
The Manuf. Code tells us what year it is, not the serial number. Last two digits. These little engines are very easy to rebuild. Just take you some pictures if you take this on. We all tend to forget.

I am rebuilding one today. These things were built to last. They need rings and valves most of the time after people mess with the governor trying to make them go fast, otherwise if you service them regular they last and last.

The cart I bought a few weeks ago was used for high speed racing I think. First thing I noticed before I bought it was the governor spring had been compressed which is a killer of these engines. They were designed to run from 12 to 15 mph but the ones I see run much faster and therefore we have to tear into the engine soon after.

I know mine needs it but for now my wife is happy. I will rebuild when I find time. Right now it just puffs a little. She don't see it but I do. I wish I had the 350 cc like yours. I put a 295 in mine a man give to me for a little help I did for him. Don't take long to remove these engines and set another one in. Right now I got three in my shop I bought with bad engines. All had been tweaked to run fast :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0255.jpg (195.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The code is J2300, so it must be a 2000. That's when the previous owner built this house, so maybe he bought the cart to run around the farm.

I guess I should look for a kit and set it aside and prepare to rebuild.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Your pistons should be good. Had many of these apart and never seen one that needed replacing but I am cheap.

Tip > buy from an Ezgo dealer. I have used both OEM and aftermarket and OEM hands down. I will leave that up to you . I said I was cheap but not in this area.

You will probably need rings, gasket and seal set , timing belt, two Intake valves.

I just clean the exhaust valves and then lap them both in. Nice thin line right in the middle is what you will be looking for when you lap them.

Only way you know exactly what all you need is pull it out and tear it down.

Look close to see if rocker arms and cam are good.

If so put them back exactly the order you took them off. Same with piston rods.

This site has the repair manual for these engines. Read over it before you dive in if you never had one apart.

http://products.jacobsen.com/img/manuals/27615-g01.pdf
Old 05-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd listen to what trig has to say. This man knows what hes talking about :)

workhorse is the easiest by far to work on. Just flip the bed up and you've got all the room in the world to work. Can pull the motor out of these and have it on the bench in less than 20 minutes. Dont ask me how I know
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #18
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the help. Is there a dealer people here like? I don't know if I can find one locally. I'm near Ocala, FL.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #19
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am seeing online prices for kits that approach $1300. That can't be right, for this dinky motor.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #20
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yes it is. Replacing that motor with another kind requires a new cradle plus usually a new clutch.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO