lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
cmurray
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 DS charging issues

Hello everyone! I`m new to the world of owning a golf cart. I`m having a few electrical problems and decided to join your site. By the way I`m quite impressed by some of the pictures I`ve seen . I know everyone here is probably sick of us newbies joining and asking about charging issues, but I`m just a dumb fireman and really need help. I recently bought a 99 DS Club Car 36v with a few extras cd player, wood grain dash, and alloy rims.The batteries were all dried out so I bought 6 -8146`s from Napa and installed them the way the old ones came out. It worked like a charm until I tried to charge it. The charger pegged at 20 for about a minute and then the charger breaker tripped. I pulled out all the batteries and charged them on a 6v 1.5 amp charger each for about 24 hrs. Reinstalled batteries and tried to plug in the charger and the same thing. What can I try next.
cmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 99 DS charging issues

double check all your cables to make sure things are right, there should be diagrams up in the stickies............welcome................by the way i don,t know any dumb fireman you guys put your life on the line everytime that bell rings god bless you and all the others....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
cmurray
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for replying Tom.. Yes everything seems wired correctly. Could a short in the headlights cause this problem? I`m also having prolems with them. I checked all fuses between headlights and batteries everyone was fine. I also replaced both bulbs and only one turned on intermittentlhty
I`m thinking I have a bad battery or a short in the system. Correct me if I`m wrong, but I should have all the batteries load tested and maybe try charging with the headlights disconnected from the batteries. Wasn`t sure maybe I should disconnect the cd player also b/f charging. Thanks again for your help
Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
cmurray
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Update on my cart issues. I tested all batteries all above 6, over 36 in full series. I also load tested everyone all checked out good. So I removed power to headlights, horn, and cd player. Plugged in charger and it went to 20, dropped for a second and then went passed 20 and stayed there.I was happy when the breaker did not trip. The charger was on about an hour and barely went down to just below 20. The charger was very hot too the touch. Is this normal? Being in the business of putting fires out I got a little nervous and unplugged the charger. If anyone has had this problem and could shine a little light on me it would be greatly appreciated. Also I had mentioned my front headlight weren't working, the back ones work fine. Wondering if the high/low button on the floor next to the horn might need to be replaced? Again thanks in advance to anyone that can help
Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no your charger shouldn,t get very hot, warm is ok very hot not good.......you have an issue somewhere in the charging system......so what i would do is disconnect all extras and start with the basics if your sure everything is right.......also try putting new cables on you could have a bad cable under the insulation that you can,t see and get a diagram of the charging system and go over it............also clean the contacts of the charger and where it plugs into the cart i have seen some that were really dirty and charger would act that way............................
Old 04-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
cmurray
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Any suggestions on what type of cables are the best and where I go to get them.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

get a set of golfcart battery cables for your make and year cart they arn,t costly at all 15 to 20 bucks tops......check some of the sponsers here or any online golfcart c. that sells to the public.......or if you want you can make your own either go to a battery supply store or auto parts and buy some 6 gage cable and enough lugs but i beleive its cheaper to just buy a set...............................
Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
cmurray
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I got ancy and went to a battery store b/f I got a chance to read your reply. I bought 4ga. cables and connected all the batteries. I also replaced the cables to solenoid(+) and to controller(-) with 4ga. Don't know if 4 ga. was the wrong choice since you suggested 6ga. I thought bigger was better I think I really screwed things up When I was hooking the - to the controller I made a spark on the terminal. After that it wouldn't move. Do you think I fried the controller or is there a fuse that I should look for that might be blown. Here's another thing I noticed my cart's serial starts with A99, which means 99 DS. My motor says 36v, but my wiring matches the 95-03 48 v diagram in the sticky. I'm a complete mess and could use any advice
By the way Shadowman if your ever in Cincinnati I owe you a beer.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

nothing wrong with 4 gage..............how much of a spark? like a big smoking spark? can you get your nose close enough to smell controller to see if it smells burnt? its possible you fried it...........does it do anything? solenoid click?...................................
Old 04-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
cmurray
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not much of a spark. The controller doesn't smell burnt. The solenoid doesn't make any clicking noise. I did put a meter on the solenoid and it light up on the + side and the - side, but when I hit the accellerator the - side loses juice. Also noticed that the yellow connector with the lines on it(don't know what it's called) gets hot when the accellerator is pressed. This yellow connector is on the solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car