lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
cfisher72
Not Yet Wild

Default 93 Marathon sputters at take off and smokes a little

The cart runs very strong once going but its a little slow at take off. It wants to sputter and spit a little and then takes off hard. It leaves behind some smoke while running as well. Occasionally backfires also. Its a 93 Marathon 4 stroke motor. I have adjusted the valves, checked the exhaust for clogs, new air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs. Fresh oil change and premium fuel added. Carb has been thoroughly cleaned and a new fuel pump added also. Any other suggestions?
cfisher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
newtjl
Gone Wild

Default Re: 93 Marathon sputters at take off and smokes a little

Is it burning oil? Have you checked the compression yet? Im leaning toward valve seals or oil rings. If it has never had the valve seals replaced, Im sure it needs them. Worn valve seals allow oil to enter the cylinder and burn off with the compression stroke. The smoke is more evident upon takeoff. It also will result in plugs that foul rather quickly and a missing or sputtering, especially on takeoff. If the compression is fine, Id look at seals first. You can put them in yourself very easily (as easily as the valve adjustment) and they dont cost much.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
cfisher72
Not Yet Wild

I havent had it long enough to know if its burning much oil. Literally just changed the oil yesterday. It does have good compression. First thing I checked. Would the seals being bad cause the sluggish take off or just the smoking issue? Thanks.
cfisher72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
newtjl
Gone Wild

They could be fouling your plugs which would potentially cause a sluggish takeoff. When the engine is not running, oil seeps into the cylinder through worn valve seals. I am not implying that new valve seals will make a 93 run like new but it may help get started in the right direction. I suggest taking one of the valve seals off and looking at it. Will take a few minutes. If they are still the seals from 1993, I very much doubt any of the teflon is still in them. Keep an close eye on your oil level. If everything is working as it should be, the oil level shouldnt really change. Worn valve seals will cause a surprisingly significant amount of oil loss.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO