lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Default 1988 Ez GO Marathon

Hey all!

I’ve had this project cart I’ve been working on. Gas 1988 EZ GO Marathon. I’ve replaced tons on it. Took apart motor and changed crank seals first. New battery and starter, belt, carb, fuel pump, spark plugs, brand new exhaust (need to put gasket on still). Probably a few more things I’m not thinking of at the moment.

Either way, it’s up and running good. Seems to get somewhere from 15-18mph on flat ground, but whenever I get the slightest hill it really seems to lose some power and barely puts up the hill...which I am assuming is not so normal? It is also pretty darn hot underneath the cart after driving. Could it be the exhaust gasket causing both of these?

Or, my clutch looks like it has a little bit of wear and I haven’t replaced that yet..would the clutch be responsible for losing power up the hills?

Last thing..I have noticed after giving it has and slightly letting off the pedal it pops and backfires a tiny bit..could the wrong fuel mixture be the problem? I did yank the oil pump and just mix my own gas/oil now.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 Ez GO Marathon

Welp...........

15-18 on flat isn't too bad, although mine gets 22. Have you removed the gov?

They do need back pressure to run right, get the gasket back in to eliminate that possibility.

It could very well be a clutch problem, is it shifting to low range when under heavy load? Meaning, the engine should rev high to get the torque it needs.

One other thing;
I worked on an 88 a few years ago and one thing I had to do to get it to run really good (faster then mine dang it) was to eliminate the air intake tube from filter housing to the louver on the firewall. Apparently hers was restricted at the louvers, I suspected wasp nest or whatever in there.

Also, be sure to use regular gas not premium.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

That’s what I was thinking. This was just driving next to my neighbors Rhino so not sure how accurate it was. But seems to be moving ok flat.

It doesn’t sound like the engine revs up when I get on a steep hill, it just kind of feels like it’s putting around and lost all of its marbles, almost like something is slipping..then after a few seconds of being back to flat ground it’s up and moving again. If I have any weight in the back end, passengers, etc. it’s even worse.

I do have a rigged up shop-vac hose connect my filter and carb since I couldn’t find the right part, didn’t think it would matter.

I do still have the tube connected that connects the filter to the louver..it appears to be clean. You know..I haven’t replaced the actual air filter on this thing yet either...hmm

Here is a pic of my clutch.

The groove isn’t as bad/deep as it looks in the pic, but it’s definitely got some wear on it.

Other possibility..I did replace that belt you can see. And it was a tad bit loose, I was able to slip it over the clutch and driven clutch (just barely) without removing the clutch.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
newtjl
Gone Wild

The two stroke EZ Gos dont like exhaust leaks very much and it will run optimally with that sealed up. It may also fix your other problems. Replacing the belt is good, that the most common cause of slipping so you eliminated that possibility. The old clutch could be worn out but you will know more when you seal up the exhaust. So do that first and then get back to us on the power loss and backfiring. That simple gasket may wind up fixing all of it. If it doesnt fix the backfire, that will be an easy fix. The power loss may get a little more complex. On that fuel, just make sure you are mixing 128:1. Ive seen a lot of people who run 50:1 because thats a common ratio for two strokes, but the EZ Go wont like it
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
Laporte18
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’ve got a 1989 EZGO with the exact same problem. Had fresh rebuilt motor, belts, tune up kit, and has the same symptoms as yours. Ordered a new driven clutch but have been unsuccessful in removing the bolt to replace it 😑
Laporte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laporte18 View Post
I’ve got a 1989 EZGO with the exact same problem. Had fresh rebuilt motor, belts, tune up kit, and has the same symptoms as yours. Ordered a new driven clutch but have been unsuccessful in removing the bolt to replace it [emoji58]

Thanks guys. I am going to run up to the Ez GO dealer today and grab a gasket and I will update you all Once that is in. I am leaning towards the gasket myself with the occasional popping sound and also the issues with it getting hot, I can literally see a big puff of smoke come out of that crack when I fire it up.

As for the clutch bolt, you need a specific clutch removal tool. They cost about $30-50 if you look around online but you won’t get it out without that. There is a couple videos online you can rig a dif type bolt and Teflon tape/oil to remove it but I would suggest getting the tool as handy as it’s been.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Here is a pic of the clutch puller you need.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Laporte18
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I do have a clutch puller, I’m having issues with the driven clutch bolt. Having it soaking in some pb blaster and hope to get it out tonight and replaced to see if that fixes my issue but sounds like we have the exact same problem.
Laporte18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #9
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Yes it does sound like we are having the same issue. The gasket quieted my cart down for sure, but it didn’t help the power issue. I talked to person at the EZ GO dealer and they didn’t think it was my drive clutch, so maybe the driven clutch is my problem too?

My other thoughts..maybe next I’ll try to adjust the carb even though it is brand new? Or, I feel like when I initially bought it the tube that goes down into my gas tank is broken off..maybe when I hit a hill it’s not getting proper gas flow due to the broken stem and losing power?

Going to keep tinkering..any ideas or tests would be greatly appreciated as I am running out of things to replace lol.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

There is no adjustment on that carburetor.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO