lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #1
phipps33
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 DS Convert to 48V

I have a 1987 DS 36V golf cart. I am thinking of upgrading it when the current batteries need replaced. I was thinking of going up to 48V as I understand I can use the same motor.

What would I need to replace to upgrade to 48V? Would it be worth my while/money to go ahead and convert to lithium batteries while I was at it?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Gary
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2022, 05:37 PM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 87 DS Convert to 48V

Call Dave at Revolution Golf Cars, he'll get you everything you need to convert to 48v.

Lithium will take your cart to the next level. I favor Eco Battery.
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:42 PM   #3
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I’m not a Club Car guy but generally speaking, you can gain about 33% in speed by going to 48 volts. Most likely you’ll need at least a new controller and solenoid at minimum. Most motors will work fine on 48 volts. Maybe some of the Club Car experts will weigh in with opinions. And don’t forget to upgrade your cables.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:08 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

A 1987 should be a resistor cart with toaster coils. You’ve got 3 options. Cheap, kinda cheap, and big $

First the cheap, aside from the 48v batteries you’ll need to rewire something’s a bit so the solenoids skip the 5th and 6th battery. Up to about 40v on a 36v solenoid is fine but the full 48-50v they won’t last long. It’s only the low current stuff (activation circuit) you’d need to rewire. The motor can still make use of the full 48v system.

Second option, upgrade to 48v and youd also need to change out all the solenoids for 48v solenoids. Easier to install than reconfiguring the activation circuit because you’re not rewiring anything, just replacing parts but cost a bit more money.

3rd option, call David hicks at revolution and he can sell you a solid state conversion kit. This would basically rewire your entire cart to use a solid state speed controller like an alltrax. This is by far the most expensive way, but probably the most “correct” way to do it also in terms of longevity and reliability.

None of the 3 options are “wrong” but there are benefits and down sides to each of them. Any of them would require a 48v charger and new cables. I’d recommend replacing the cables any time the batteries are changed anyway
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 06:34 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Basically Whoa ! You're getting ahead of yourself. The 87 resistor coil cart needs to be updated to solid state operation before 48v and long before you invest in 48v lithium.
We have helped hundreds of cart enthusiast convert older resistor coil carts to solid every year for the past 10 -12 years. Nobody has more experience converting these carts to modern performance than cartsunlimited.net.
Contact me, I can help
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:39 PM   #6
phipps33
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I know I’m gonna have to sink a good chunk of change to do the conversion, but the rest of the cart was recently redone so I think it’s probably worth it.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 08:40 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have been searching CL for a project cart TXT or DS and there are none. No carts needing batteries and all the new battery fixed carts are priced as high as used cars. The prices are crazy high so I suspect that is why we are seeing so many of these old cart being brought up to modern standards
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car