lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
RedskinCart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Engine will not fire when pressing accelerator

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum as well as forums in general so bear with me. I have recently acquired an Ez-Go Gas ST Clay's Car, 2004 model. It ran well for me at the start but now will not start when I step on the accelerator. Occasionally, it will run but shortly after will go back to no fire. I have checked the wiring for shorts and replaced the solenoid thinking it may be at fault but still am having no success. Could it be a limit switch causing my issue? I have not yet replaced it. Is there anyway to test for a bad limit switch? Thanks in advance for the help!
RedskinCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Engine will not fire when pressing accelerator

Welcome to BGW.
I'm not sure if that motor has a low-oil-shutdown on it, but have you checked the oil level?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
RedskinCart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the welcome! There is a lot of great info out here! I had topped it off recently but just to be sure I checked and verified that the dipstick is reading full. I am not sure if my engine has the low oil shutoff or not but I will look into it. It would be interesting to find out.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

When you step on the accelerator pedal, do you hear a "click" or the sound of the solenoid? If you don't hear anything, check the solenoid wiring connections for loose wiring.

There are several reasons for the engine not firing. It could be that the micro switch is not functioning, broken/ loose wiring connections, faulty ignitor, faulty pulsar unit, faulty solenoid, busted fuse, etc, among several reasons.

Check also the timing belt. It could be slipping or broken.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
RedskinCart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Great info, thank you for the many options to try!
The solenoid does click when pressing the accelerator pedal and I did replace the original one with a new one. Also, I have replaced all fuses as well as adding a new fuse block. Thirdly, I have checked the wiring as well as replaced any questionable connectors. I will give my wiring a once over again to completely rule it out as an issue.
I’m not familiar with the Pulsar coil, where would it be located and is there any way to test its integrity besides just replacing it? Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check connections to the ignitor. Or the ignitor itself could be the problem.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
RedskinCart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Checked connections and all was well. Turns out, it is in the starter/generator. I test and verified that when pressing the accelerator I get full 12 v. I turned the pulley on the starter and it fired right up. I may have brushes or something going on inside it. I'll see if a new set of brushes fix my issue. Thanks to all for the help in troubleshooting my issue.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
RedskinCart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks like the brushes were bad after all. Two of them show quite a bit of wear and the other two do not. See pic below. I'm not quite sure why they had such uneven wear though.
Attached Images
File Type: png BRUSHES.png (1.02 MB, 0 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
sonicbug
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Be sure the brushes move freely. If the stick a bit it will cause them to wear unevenly
sonicbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

One set charging other set WORN SET cranking or starter motor!!!

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO