lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Default Help Needed - Axle Cross Reference (Gas)

Looking for a little cross reference help here. My Old Cushman UTV is needed a rear axle replacement. After 22 years of abuse, reverse is gone (syncros).

You may know Cushman UTV / Cushman Hawks are few and far between, especially for parts. I'm hoping (for a start) you guys look at these pictures to see if you may have seen this same axle setup in a cart you own or owned. I know Textron owned both Cushman and Ez-Go for a time. This cart is a 1989 UTV with factory installed V-Twin Briggs.

Key notes on this setup;
* This is more your typical CVT setup unlike the older Cushmans.
* The is no governor on the axle, it's on the stock 14HP Vanguard.
* Shift arm is on the top- toward the rear of the axle housing.

Countless hours looking through the web makes me think early Ezgo workhorse could possibly be close...

Any help would be great - GaryDee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cush3.jpg (195.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-28_16-49-05_110.jpg (71.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-28_16-49-48_468.jpg (257.9 KB, 5 views)
garydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Milwaukee
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Help Needed - Axle Cross Reference (Gas)

have you found parts for those rear axle?

I need new shifter that go inside transmission to top case where cable hook to it. Mine is snap and I bought with that way.
Milwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Garydee,...that looks the same as my 98 cushman Hawk,.. Mine has a Comex trans axle. The shifter linkage looks the same. I just helped my neighbor put a Big Block in his 2000 ezgo we was talking that we think the rear would work in mine. I have been looking at a john deere gator 4x2 rear thinking I could put that in my Hawk. Then i would have high low reverse and positive locker in and out. Either one if you had to wash off the mounts and relocate I don't think it would be a problem for you with your fab skills,..... my cushman hawk has 5 lugs on 4.5 I dont know if the hubs intercahnge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comex2.jpg (89.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg comex.jpg (108.2 KB, 0 views)
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Here's what I have come across for an axle replacement for my Cushman UTV or Hawk - I believe it's from a EZ-GO Workhorse. The axle is about 1" narrower (that won't be an issue) but the Driven CVT is positioned about 2 inches closer to the drivers side axle. So it looks like I will have to re-position the engine. Ya, nothings easy! Of coarse the shifter linkage will need modification.

Good news is the Driven CVT is the same diameter, correct side moves and is actually situated farther away from the axle than the Cushmans (you actually have to take the Driven CVT off the axle to remove the belt on the original Cushman axle). I have not checked if there are differences in the axle ratios yet, maybe tonight.

The big thing is the converting the EZ-GO axles "cable brakes" to the Cushmans hydraulic brake system. Cushman used a hub / drum system much like a car - EzGo is an integrated hub / drum. Still weighing the options...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle1.jpg (91.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle2.jpg (190.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg axle3.jpg (136.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Line up clutch, off set rearend put spacer on short side. I've replaced my rear brakes this last year. You may be in luck that the brakes, master and everything will swap from one axle to the other. there are 4 bolts holding the backer plate on and if that will fit the new axle it will be ok.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
garydee
Getting Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Line up clutch, off set rearend put spacer on short side.
That is a great option and it's a lot less work than re-positioning the engine. The little wider stance will be more inline with the wider track the front end now has. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I've replaced my rear brakes this last year. You may be in luck that the brakes, master and everything will swap from one axle to the other. there are 4 bolts holding the backer plate on and if that will fit the new axle it will be ok.
Don't think I will be as lucky here. The mounting plate brackets have the holes in a different configuration plus the Cushman drums are bigger / 2 piece assemblies and the hubs are splined different not interchangeable.

If I can re-drill the backing plates and use aftermarket replacement axle hubs, I couple possibly make that work. But how the backing plate holds the axle and bearing into the housing may have a compatibility issue.

Another possible option would be to fabricate a disk brake system using aftermarket hubs; 82 Honda Civic front rotors ($15+- each) and calipers ($36+- each), make brackets etc.. But by the time I spend the money and time on trying to fab a setup like this up, it may be cheaper to get a "Rear disk brake kit" for a EzGo axle - though I would really hate spending that kind of money... Guess I'll sleep on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle5.jpg (216.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts