lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2017, 04:28 AM   #1
termite40
Not Yet Wild

Default ez go dcs resistor super hot with no power

background- 99 dcs cart stretched, lifted, and big wheels and tires. Prev. issues with solenoid heating so replaced controller with 400 amp and also a heavy duty controller. Ran good. Last trip overloaded with seven adults for a long ride and killed the batteries, barely made it home. Charged for 12-14 hours and let sit for a day. Turned key and hit pedal and nothing. Checked solenoid and no clicking and not hot. However resistor on solenoid super hot. Stayed hot with no key turned on and no pedal depressed. Had to unhook battery. Any ideas, and my pack voltage is good.
termite40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ez go dcs resistor super hot with no power

When the resistor is cool, reconnect battery without turning key on or pressing pedal. If the resistor gets hot, you probably have some shorted MOSFETs in the controller.

What 400A controller do you have? (Alltrax DCX-400 or something else)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
termite40
Not Yet Wild

Not sure of the controller make- cart is in VA and I'm now in PA. I did find out that it started as a Dcs but was converted to a pds. Has the mechanical FNR switch but has a pds programmable controller.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The test I described will work on any controller.

Post pictures of controller when you get back to VA.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
termite40
Not Yet Wild

Trying to load pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3350.jpg (200.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3351.jpg (198.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is more or less a stock PDS controller that someone has tinkered with to up the amp throughput from 300A to 400A.

By saying it is programmable, I suspect you are referring to the different plugs that can be inserted into the upper left 4-pin connector (J2) to select the four PDS modes. That means it and user selectable modes rather than being truly programmable.

In a nutshell, even with someone replacing the stock MOSFETs with higher capacity ones (or adding more in parallel), that controller is not designed to turn oversized tire or moving a cart with seven passengers, so I suspect it has finally failed.

Since whoever altered the cart from a DCS to a PDS apparently managed to get the wiring compatible with a PDS controller. I'd replace it with an Alltrax XCT-48500-PDS controller, which is truly user programmable with a laptop and USB cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO