lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
StoneSkipper83
Not Yet Wild

Default G21a - input shaft / gearcase help!!!

So I have a Yamaha Pro Hauler with a g21a input shaft that sheared off at the woodruff key location. Here is where I am at.

So I removed the rear axel for access after I got the input shaft out. Someone has obviously been in the rear end before as the gear case and input shaft cover were black RTV’d instead of having a gasket. I accidentally removed the input shaft prior to removing the detent spring/ball nut (big mistake I know).

After getting the axel up on the bench I noticed that the detent ball and spring bolt is missing the ball and spring!!! I am considering taking off the rear cover to see if it may have come off in there.

Here is my question. Could the ball and spring shot into the rear gear case when I removed the cover? I have never had any issue’s with this cart shifting from Forward to Reverse. I am pretty sure that who’ever got into the rear end before didn’t put that part back in when he rebuilt it. How necessary is the part, because I am having a super hard time locating a replacement online.

Any help is appreciated.
StoneSkipper83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G21a - input shaft / gearcase help!!!

Some Yamaha parts don't use gaskets, just sealant. Not sure this is the case, just wanted to point that out.

I would look around inside there for the parts since you have it out. I have had parts fall all over the place when working on engines and such, happens often. Also look around on the floor, get down on your hands and knees with a flashlight, you'll see shadows of little parts on the floor lol. It's good practice to disassemble things like that on a light colored sheet or drop cloth so you can find the fallen parts on the floor really easy. One time I dropped this tiny little pin from inside a carburetor, couldn't find it anywhere. Bought a new one. Later in the week I was laying on the garage floor working on something else and there it was, that little pin, laying right next to my head. I swear I looked for it. My point is, our eyes aren't as good as we think they are. I now spread an old bed sheet on the floor when I take small stuff apart. A little part like that pin would have stuck out like a sore thumb.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Definitely needs the gasket. It's important for the proper clearances. The ball and spring could be in the case, but if it stayed in the cover and fell out without your knowledge, they could be anywhere.

90501-10852-00 spring

93500-06826-00 ball
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Definitely needs the gasket. It's important for the proper clearances. The ball and spring could be in the case, but if it stayed in the cover and fell out without your knowledge, they could be anywhere.

90501-10852-00 spring

93500-06826-00 ball
There we go!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
StoneSkipper83
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the input, I have yet to dig into the rear end to search for the ball and spring due to the gasket is delayed.

So dumb question. As I said earlier the rear axel gearcase has been "worked" on before as it has a RTV seal. I noticed when I was looking inside that its all axel grease in there? No gear oil. According to what I have read it should be a 90 weight oil in the gearcase correct? Am I missing something?
Old 08-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Yes, gear oil, not grease. The grease and RTV on the side cover indicates that a numbskull has been working on it.

RTV is used on the rear inspection cover. No gasket.

This may help...https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=83774
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Usually, when a gearbox that's supposed to have oil in it is packed with grease instead, its usually an attempt to quiet down a loud setup.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #8
StoneSkipper83
Not Yet Wild

Well now things are becoming so clear...after cleaning the grease up and digging through the transmission...I have found my 3rd thing....

So apparently someone decided to go off roading and dropped the rear end on a MOUNTAIN!

After digging out the RTV and doing a little wire wheeling I have a serious issue. My transmission case is busted. I'm at a loss...this is a budget project for my kids and its turning into a Rolls Royce.

Suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200803_135003.jpg (203.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200803_181056.jpg (206.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200803_181114.jpg (199.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200803_181130.jpg (205.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dang, that's gonna be expensive to get a new one. Looks like a very thorough cleaning & more job weld. They really "saw you coming"...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
StoneSkipper83
Not Yet Wild

Took my rear axel into a machine shop $100 later good as new. Started putting it all back together today.

So question...every manual I have read when assembling the input shaft states the forward gear goes in first and the reverse gear second. It also clearly states that the forward gear is smaller in diameter.

On my prohauler the smaller gear is reverse? Also I cant get the forward gear in first it won't fit with the input shaft. Am I missing something?

Also after assembling it 6 ways from Sunday, I cant get the input shaft cover to completely seat. I have a 1/2 gap all the way around. I have tried tapping it into place and nothing works!!! 3 hours fooling with this POC tonight and I about to just set it on fire.

Im afraid using to much force will ruin something. It looks like it should just slide on? Its like the lower shaft with the dog clutch isn't aligned right or something. I have verified all the bearing fit???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha