lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
jimmer2880
Not Yet Wild

Default Why should I dump the block based Governor

I'm starting my Predator 420 clone swap into my '95 Ezgo. I have seen a bunch of info on how to remove the governor on the Predator clones. However, I haven't seen anyone say why. So, my question is, why should I remove the engine based governor? I'll probably stop using the rearend based speed limiter.

I have a tach on order, but I am still concerned about over reving the 420. Will the governor give me hill climbing power, but keep the engine from over reving?

I'm not trying to make a racing cart. My Robin is not running well and I wouldn't mind having a few extra ponies.

FYI - I came across a used 7000/8750 generator that looks like the generator portion never worked. It looks brand new and I didn't give a lot for it. After removing the generator pieces, this predator has a tapered shaft! I'm hoping I can reuse my factory clutch without any adapters.
jimmer2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Why should I dump the block based Governor

Generator engines do have a tapered shaft. You can remove the crankshaft and have it cut down to 1". Other than that, there's no way to use it with the taper.

As far as the engine governor, yes you can leave it in place, and I'd recommend it for someone not trying to get max speed. Most governed gas 4 stroke engines run at around 3600-3800 rpm. That rpm is basically where all their power is, so climbing hills won't be any problem, provided you have traction. Off road hill climbing in dirt is much much different that climbing hills on a paved cart path or road, just keep that in mind.

The governor will ensure you don't over rev the engine, which should be limited to under 4500 rpm for it to last long. Some people will set the governor up to run up to 4500, but I never tried that. I think the internal parts need modified.

With any big block engine swap, a good running engine is key, but having good clutches, and the correct clutches is just as important.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
jimmer2880
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping that since my stock clutch is tapered, the tapered shaft of this generator would match up. I wasn't able to find a spec on the factory clutch taper. Guess I wasn't so luky after all.

Thanks for the info on the governor. I will plan on keeping it in place.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Generator crankshafts have a very special taper to support the armature. There is no clutch that fits it. If the engine is real nice and runs good you might want to replace the crankshaft.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Crankshafts are pretty cheap for clones as is most parts. I ran a couple 420s with no governors they valve float about 4300 rpm or so. It is not good to run them like that for long. What you do is run about 10 gallon of fuel through it then you put HD valve springs on it. Then it will rev to around 5K rpm. If you run it WOT at 5K for a long time it will blow up but occasional use will not hurt it. If you go down a road for a ways fast as it will go you are asking for trouble. If you want to do that you need to put a billet rod in the engine as the stock rod does not oil well at high rpm over 5K rpm. You can do other things to help power like cut the head, port it, timing key, larger carb, etc.

Another problem with engine governor is they tend to cut in around 3600 or less and some carts don't shift until then, so you can have the governor cutting power to the cart. You are better to use the cart governor if you use one.

I have a stock 420 that has been run since 2012 I think, all stock no governor just jetted carb and a car muffler and airbox. But nobody holds it on the floor for very long where it is run, its not run on the road.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #6
jimmer2880
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the great info. I guess I'll drop it in with the stock engine governor and see how well it shifts. If it doesn't, ill hookup the cart governor (its an ezgo, so its more of a top speed limiter).

Wife just injected a small home construction project to do before it gets cold). So, this project will have to wait.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some stock carts have limiters on the engine some don't, often they are at 4K rpm, the old CC flathead always had them and G2 have them. In a cart the clutch shifts at around 3600 range and so the engine never goes over that. The governor on the trans kicks in at the set cart ground speed to cut throttle. If you disable the cart governor rpm will go higher but only after full shift in the cvt (top gear so to speak). Some clones now have limiters in the ignition also.

The G9 I have would go 27mph gps with stock governor turned all the way in, on 22 tires, stock engine no limiter. On pavement you might see 30mph with wind to your back with no governor at all. With a 420 clone it goes 31mph gps and floats the valves probably like the stock engine was at 30. However it gets to 30mph way faster with the clone 420.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
420, 95 ezgo, clone, governor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps