lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
scokon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2 Rebuild, Parts questions, Rebore advice, and Clutch replacement question

Hey everyone first post just looking for some advice on rebuilding a G2. It hasn't ran for about 4 years, my dad pulled it out of the shop in the spring and it had lost its oil so it seized. Prior to this I have rebuilt a JD 3020 tractor engine with a mechanic but thats it.

Anyways today Ive taken the engine out, taken the head off and am working on the drive clutch. The primary sheave came off easy but the starter pully is being really difficult and I broke it with a puller, the primary sheave has holes in it as well so I figured I need a new clutch anyways and wasn't to worried about it. Am I right in that assumption? Is the clutch puller bolt the best way to take this off? I'm in Alberta-Canada and am looking at 50-90 bucks for a clutch puller bolt. Does anyone know a good supplier for parts in Canada? Also I am attaching some pics of the engine thus far. The piston is scorched but the walls of the cylinder look okay. Just curious what I'm looking for in terms of needing a rebore. I have the service manual, and the cylinder so far is the normal size 73mm I think. If there's no scratching or grooves maybe skip the rebore-some advice on this would be great.

My repair list so far is looking like
piston, rings, bearing-80/120
bearing and seals on crankshaft-80
gaskets-80
Rebore?-200
Clutch-250/300
$800 thus far just from some pricing I have done online and through a shop nearby

Thanks for reading and any advice, I'll update as I work on it.

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (150.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (193.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (189.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (182.1 KB, 0 views)
scokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Rebuild, Parts questions, Rebore advice, and Clutch replacement questio

Can't you order the puller on Ebay in canada?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
scokon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 Rebuild, Parts questions, Rebore advice, and Clutch replacement questio

Yea I think so, and some of the sponsors to the site have canadian shipping, I was just curious to see if there was anyone who had a good parts site or guy that they preferred working with in Canada.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

From the picture #2, I would say your going to need to bore it. The piston to cylinder clearance is to much. Clean off the top of the piston, it will be marked if it is already over sized.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have you compared the rebuild vs a big block, even though the big block will cost a little more?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
maxim1157
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Smallblock might be able to help you with parts.. he's up in Washington state and I have gotten a lot of my parts from him.

Losing all oil I'd be afraid that the crank is scored..like Black Death said maybe doing a big block conversion, or even a Harbor Freight predator motor.. yeah both primary and secondary clutches look toast. I just bought a brand new primary clutch that was a take off for a swap high performance clutch..pm me if you want the information.
maxim1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I would be planning on a bore & piston job, the thing was seized up & all! BUT, I wouldn't spend any money on rebuild parts until I got the fixed sheave off the motor, & opened up the motor to see how bad the crank & rod really is.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Missed that CG, I thought the broken fixed sheave was already off the crank.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

How did they break the cast iron sheave?? Wow, unless that was an effort to get it off. I had a guy make me a puller and I corkscrewed it on my clutch trying to get it off, used a 3/4" impact on it and it still would not come off. It took off 3 stock clutches before that. So I found another inside and rebuilt my clutch with that and put on my clone. Now using a 94c but yes, they can stick on there really hard after all those years. You may be able to buy the special size 14mm thread bolt someplace and make your own rod to go in there, not sure if you can find the fine thread it may be 14x1mm but its been a long time. I found it on the net and had one made. Some pack it with grease and run the bolt in and that can work.

Now you know why some of us get a $300 clone 15hp and drop it in and have a brand new engine. Mine was from home depot online and its a lifan, a good brand clone, but you can do a HF too. Even stock it feels like twice the power of stock engine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #10
scokon
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the replies everyone, yea I'm not ordering anything until I get a look at the crankshaft, I told myself If that was buggered id just replace the whole thing. I haven't looked at any clones but I'll start researching, it'll probabaly be a week before I can pop that pulley off. As far as the pulley goes I used a puller we had in our shop, and the primary had holes from wear.

Tags
rebuild, yamaha g2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha