lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
kylecallahan14
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 mysterious wire/charging system

Hi, all

I am by no means a wiring expert here, but I bought a G1 that has always "idled" when the key was turned to either forward or reverse (not off the pedal) I knew that wasnt right and I am not sure if someones been into the wiring harness or not so I pulled the floorboard and got to the pedals today and removed a bunch of dirt that was trapped under the brake pedal and I noticed the stop/start switch under the gas pedal seemed to be stuck.

I got everything loose and went to try it all again and I noticed that I had a wire that was broken out of the socket when I put it together... I naturally connected the wires back together to its mate and I turned the key and sure enough... it idles whichever way I turn the key and off I go...

I took it for a short drive when I got mad with it and when I got back to my garage I noticed when I let off the gas... it stopped the motor. I thought that was strange as it's never done that (as it should) Sure enough, i pushed the gas pedal down... off I went...

I noticed under further inspection that the wire that had come undone was actually the wire that broke... when that wire is connected... it idles with the key on foward or reverse... I disconnect that wire, and cart runs as it should...

I looked up a diagram and it looks like the wire that I'm referring to that makes the motor idle is the one I've circled... it appears to be RED.... I have no idea how to know what goes where BUT I am smart enough to know when that wire isnt connected... the cart doesnt run as it should BUT with it being disconnected... SOMETHING isnt going to work as it should...

Will that wire effect my charging system or is it just a wire feeding to something stupid like a buzzer or something?

I find it strange that when I connect it... it turns the motor over with the key on... something tells me its connected to the generator and I've been "TOLD" that the generator isnt charging but I dont know how to verify that for sure... Been told to just jack it up and put a volt meter on the battery with the pedal to the floor and watch the volts.

Let me know if you can help me please.... I want to get this thing running great.. I got a paint shop and new body screaming to get bolted to this bad boy..

Thanks!

Kyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (79.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg harness.jpg (139.4 KB, 0 views)
kylecallahan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 mysterious wire/charging system

Most carts can be wired a myriad of different ways and still work perfectly so I wouldn't sweat the wiring all that much. It's likely that some previous owner didn't recognize that broken wire so they wired some other type of repair in that cart which is why that one you are holding is no longer needed. It is very common in old carts with multiple previous owners.

You are correct about the charging though. Jack that sucker up, put a volt meter on the battery and rev the engine 1/2 speed or so. You should be seeing right around 14v at the battery give or take a bit. If so you are all good. If not then post up again as your aren't charging right.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

wire goes to a pulse fuse off the battery, is also tee'd off before that to a stop switch?
no idea what this actually does.

I'm with lochlin check to see that's its charging properly and run that bad boy.
if you need a service manual there is a downloadable one in the garage section.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
kylecallahan14
Not Yet Wild

OK,

Assuming that I had the voltmeter on the right settings here is the numbers I am getting (12.6 at the battery with no load)

I hooked the volt meter as I read on here somewhere to the "upside down horseshoe" and hook them up to the red/green wires coming out of the generator... I was told those numbers should be around 5... I got 4.6v

I drove it around while watching the voltmeter and it stayed right about 12.2v

Could it be a voltage regulator? When I purchased this... the cover was missing and it appears it has been through some weather...

Also... if you notice the pictures where there I show where I hooked my wires to the red/green wires out of the generator... you'll see a fairly larger green wire thats not attached to anything on the opposite end.. any idea what it might be for, or just get rid of it? I thought someone said that wire there just goes to the solenoid and thats it..

Please.. let me know what you think.. and if I even had the wires hooked up correctly or on the right setting on the voltmeter LOL... what can I say? I hate electrical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 126v.jpg (114.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 42v.jpg (86.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg starter gen wires.jpg (126.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
kylecallahan14
Not Yet Wild

I tried adjusting the screw on the regulator and made no difference?

Anyone? Help! LOL
Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecallahan14 View Post
I tried adjusting the screw on the regulator and made no difference?

Anyone? Help! LOL
Well, if that's the case then you probably need a new VR.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Did you happen to check the voltage with that wire hooked up and disconnected?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
kylecallahan14
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it runs the same numbers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha