lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
1arunem
Gone Wild

Default Engine swap question

Ok, so I'm fairly new to gas carts. Picked up what appears to be a 1998 bodied Yamaha gas cart with a JN6 engine which is good but the rear end is shot and the body not so great.

Also got a 2001 bodied cart with a JR3 engine which is said to be bad. Body, etc on this cart is better.

First, is the JN6 engine a direct swap for the JR3? Or should I leave the good JN6 engine in the cart it is in and swap bodies?(are they interchangeable?)..

Thanks and let me know if you need further info. Like I said, I am a bit of a newbie..
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine swap question

Bodies and engines are perfectly interchangeable both directions on those carts. You can mix and match parts freely on those 2. But determine years are as stated by the serial number on the carts, not by the sticker on the body.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
1arunem
Gone Wild

One cart (the 2001 body) is missing a the serial plate in on the upright in front of the battery box. Any other stamping locations?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Look for a "white tag" with the serial number between the rubber front body trim and storage box area on the driver side.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
1arunem
Gone Wild

White sticker is only half way there. Reads 2001 but no serial number (has been torn off).

The motor in the one marked 2001 is bad but is a JR3.. From what I can tell a JR3 came in the yamahauler G11 ? However this cart looks identical to the 1998 positively identified JN6 G16.. Any thoughts?

Also, I assume the body must come off to swap the engine?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Nope, engine will come through seat hole. Serial number sticker does not directly say a year, so I'm doubtful you are looking at serial number data.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

https://www.yamahagolfcar.com/findyourmodel/

The numbers are in a certain form, like JN8-4XXXXX where X is 0-9, the serial number.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
1arunem
Gone Wild

I know its probably second nature to some of you but any write ups on engine removal? I'm sure I can figure it out but never hurts to learn from others experience. Thanks..
Old 03-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I can't recall those, but most carts its just take the normal stuff off like airbox and exhaust and cables and fuel lines and wiring. You leave it there if you are putting it back in. Then lot of them are 4 bolts holding the engine in, or some have a mount system you can take out or just the block it depends. In a G9 the engine holds the two mounts together, they fall down when you take the engine out. Some carts have a big plate instead like some CC do. Generally they are very simple and a 20 min job if you do mechanical stuff much, much easier than most cars are. Don't forget you need a tool for the clutch if you take that off.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
1arunem
Gone Wild

Ok, engines out of both carts.. Good motor swapped into better of the two. Used old starter motor (I left starter motors in there respective carts) and it is apparently bad as it won't spin good motor. It would spin bad motor that seemed down on compression albeit not very fast. Decided that was a good stopping point. I should have went ahead and kept the known good starter with the known good engine but didn't. Live and learn.

Will swap starter motors and see if she lights off tomorrow or Wednesday.

Started pulling first motor and had both out and good motor buttoned up in good cart in about 2 and 1/2 hours. Not record time I'm sure but I took my time and happy with my progress for the night.

Thanks all. Will update with results..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha