lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #21
Lukedlv
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Problem with new carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
doesn't look carb related to me.

cranking to slow. you need to go through your cranking system. Make sure the battery is fully charged and tests good. next clean all terminals from the battery to the starter/gen then to the solenoids. the stock cable ends are steel which will corrode and cause voltage drop.
even after cleaning mine i still had intermitant no crank. I replaced all the cables and ends and so far no more issues.

What are you using for a battery? where are you located?

One a second note: one section of that primary clutch looks shiny, is it rubbing? are your belts over tight? are you using the correct spark plug?
Thank you for the feedback. The cart was customized when I bought it and made to go 25 mpg, so I’m not sure about the spark plug. I just Bought the same exact plug that was already in there when it ran well. I’ve cleaned terminals, but will try again. Battery is 660 cranking amps, 12 Volt, car battery. I live 30 mins outside of Nashville
Lukedlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #22
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Does it act the same way in reverse?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #23
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Here is a crazy thought. You sure you have the battery installed correctly?
Positive and negative correct?
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #24
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

now is as good a time as any to trace your wiring to make sure the system is hooked up correctly. a link to the service manual with a wiring diagram.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #25
jkrash
Getting Wild

Columbia

check for hot wires on the starter after cranking.
jkrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #26
Lukedlv
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Does it act the same way in reverse?
Yes
Old 04-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #27
Lochlin
Gone Wild

In an effort to determine it's fuel or not fuel I like add some pre-mixed gas directly to the cylinder, replace the plug and then run it. How much gas to add? Tough to say but I give it a pretty good amount with one of those hypodermic needle 2 cycle oil measuring plunger things. With the manual input of gas you should get a couple of secs of good running before things lean out. If it doesn't run good for a couple of secs with the manual introduction of gas then you can probably rule out a fuel issue.

In checking out your video, you are 100% not getting good starter action and it's not even close. That starter should be spinning like a mamma jamma whereas yours is just spurting. Bench test that starter via this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...generator.html

That's for HD starters but they are pretty much the same as the G1. Better yet, take it to alternator shop. They will be able to tell you if it's good or needs work.

Before you do ANY of that though, check the condition of your starter brushes. I bet they need replaced which is a pretty basic job.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #28
Lukedlv
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
In an effort to determine it's fuel or not fuel I like add some pre-mixed gas directly to the cylinder, replace the plug and then run it. How much gas to add? Tough to say but I give it a pretty good amount with one of those hypodermic needle 2 cycle oil measuring plunger things. With the manual input of gas you should get a couple of secs of good running before things lean out. If it doesn't run good for a couple of secs with the manual introduction of gas then you can probably rule out a fuel issue.

In checking out your video, you are 100% not getting good starter action and it's not even close. That starter should be spinning like a mamma jamma whereas yours is just spurting. Bench test that starter via this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...generator.html

That's for HD starters but they are pretty much the same as the G1. Better yet, take it to alternator shop. They will be able to tell you if it's good or needs work.

Before you do ANY of that though, check the condition of your starter brushes. I bet they need replaced which is a pretty basic job.
Thank you! I did Replace the starter brushes back in the winter, but I will Try your suggestions when I get home from my work trip.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
Lukedlv
Not Yet Wild

Ok, thank you all for your help. I’ve determined that it’s not a fuel or electrical issue. I took The belt off the starter and it was spinning immediately when the accelerator presses, so that should eliminate a short or bad cables.

This leads me to the clutch for hesitation issues. I cannot Figure out how to get the clutch cover off, as mine looks different that the one in the clutch replacement post on this site. I’ve attached an image. Is the pin around the bolt supposed to be removed before using an impact wrench? The sticky post said there would be a Phillips head screw to remove the cover but I cannot locate any such screw.

Could this be a seized piston and beyond clutch issues? How difficult should the primary clutch be to turn? That resistance seems to be causing the starter hesitation in the video I posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D77BA662-E7C2-4AFD-AE7F-3E5DB363ABC3.jpg (190.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #30
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

i don't like using impacts for things like crank bolts but it could be seized in there or worse someone used locktite. I have a Top dead center tool use when doing things like this. Roll it back up against the piston stop(TDC tool) and then loosen the bolt. The engine shouldn't be to terribly hard to roll over by hand with the clutch, only gets a bit tight at TDC.

You have an old style primary clutch. That washer is just a lock washer. you already have the tabs bent out of the way and can remove the bolt.

If you cant spin the engine over by hand with the belt removed you have engine damage. What did the spark plug look like that you replaced?

You can remove exhaust and/or intake and peek in and look at the cylinder and piston.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha