lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: J17 questions

Well I found one source for the generator fan but it is out of stock and out of production and new starters dont seem to come with one. Maybe I can graft a fan from a dc motor onto whats left of the hub.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #12
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

you need those shroud pieces to keep the engine cool. You really shouldn't run it without them. When you do your crank seals check the condition of the engine fan and clean everything up. Without the starter gen fan youd probably be ok but i sure it would help the life span of the unit. just keep an eye out on e-bay or try to put up a wanted ad in the for sale section.

From what i can see the clutches look good. Your primary has to come off for the clutch side seal so that's the time to clean, inspect and lubricate it. I like that it has the early style primary clutch. I prefer it to the newer replacement. Plus if its in good shape and you lift the cart later you don't have to cut as much from the frame.Id say go ahead and service the secondary. after that and a new belt put the rear on jack stands and get a sharpie and draw a line from top to bottom of both clutches then run the unit and watch the clutches.

you see where your carb linkage is in that pic and the slightly below that the fan shroud, right there on the engine case will be a series of numbers stamped. If its an 82 it will start with J17
what does the exhaust look like? can you share a pic of it.

Link to service manual found here:http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I verified J22 on the engine right where you said. Here is the exhaust pic. Is there a torque spring upgrade for this year? I probably will need to lift it as I need dirt tires on it and want to get up hills on our property and might as well do it when I replace crank seals and belts. Thanks again for the info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180602_123647.jpg (260.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:53 PM   #14
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

wouldn't j22 be an 82 electric cart? the exhaust is the fitting for the 82 j17 though
Old 06-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #15
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yeah my bad, its J17 on the engine.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

i found a guy on ebay that has a set of shrouds he wants $80 shipped for them.

i think guys have put 20 inch tires on their stock carts but you may want to verify that.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #17
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I bought them last night as well as clutch parts,main seals,belts and some other items. Started tearing into it last night and got the brakes working the pedals were crusty. Got some good parts coming to get the cart mechanicaly solid. If I could fit 20's on my stock 8" wheels that should get me 1-1\2" to 2" more ground clearence right? I dont want to lift it just yet and my tires are toast. I saw in another old post about Polaris wheels bolting on but they didnt elaborate as to models and years. Also saw my fuel pump hanging due to the lower mount on the diff being broke off. I dont want to use just the other mount and was thinking of remotely mounting it to the inner wheel arch below the solenoids. Any problems with elongating the fuelines with these style fuel pumps? Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 06-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #18
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

is the broken ear still attached to the old fuel pump? If so you can JB weld it back in place. The rims may fit but the off set may not be correct. I think the wheels are 4x100mm?? depending how wide a tire you may want to look into wheel spacers. I use these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-0-Thick-4...0AAOSwB09YSvD8
Not a fan of the stud extending style.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #19
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Its the lower portion of the mounts threaded hole. Im guessing the P.O got frustrated removing the old pump as the lower mount is in a tight spot.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #20
jjastram
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrcr822 View Post
Picked it up the other night. Runs and drives well and in all around good condition for the price. Has new carb and fuel pump with oil injection delete. P.O. didnt know it was an 82, just a G1 so not sure of the carb as its probably not an 82 but felt crisp on acceleration. Brake pedal sticks to floor but brakes work well when used after pulling pedal back up. Missing cowl from fan to cylinder head, the little fan on the starter generator is broken and will need crank seals. Going to tune it up, repair these issues,turn up the wick on the gov and do some mods so more questions to come. Im stoked to get into this cart and thank you again for the replies to my pre purchase questions.
My G1 had the sticking brake pedal also. I sprayed the spring with PB Blaster and loosened the nut on the pivot bolt a half turn and it freed it up. I did replace the spring because I had already ordered it, it it wasn't needed.
jjastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha