lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 wont rev

You normally only need a big spring if you are towing or have tall tires/lift that gears it up. That said springs lose power so your stock one may be toast. A good running G1 can hit ~30mph with a few small mods I had a couple of them way back. I never touched the drive other than normal care. Big spring can keep it from shifting all the way though that usually makes it rev more, it can also cause the belt to have much more tension on the sheaves which makes friction and can slow you down. Since it does not make a lot of power that is a negative, not enough power to slip a belt for sure. I don't know if yamaha had a umax for the G1, I think they did at one time but may not make it anymore. They raised the price of the G2/9 umax spring way up last year. I ran a G1 yamahauler way back and it would haul weight, I am 99% sure it had a different spring in it, it had an alum body with a dump box. Some say they were dealer options though, it was a standard cart frame and front and not extended.

I would say get a new piston and bore first thing you do, 2 strokes lose power with wear that usually makes a large difference with an old cart (check the compression). A hone and ring wont do much. You also want to cut the head I think you can only cut about .030 because of the chamber shape or cut the cylinder down, but even .030 helps the compression is really low stock. They were made to run substandard fuel that was 80 octane or something that some courses used back then.

Next I'd make sure the muffler was clear myself I would chop the end off and clean it and weld it back up. Then I'd try to advance the timing a little you have to rotate the pick up around the crank, if you get it to seem a little zippy-er in forward than reverse you got it. If your CVT is working well it should run pretty good, disable the governor by drilling the flats out of the bracket the cable is on (that is sort of permanent, you can do other things if you want). The CVT needs to work good, if the sheaves are worn away from the belt it wont work good, if the ramps are trashed/etc you wont get good shift and rpm can be off and you lose power. Also the primary is an issue you can hardly service the original clutch now. Some have the G9 clutch on them. The G1 does run about the same rpm for power it just can rev much higher on top end that is what makes them so fast on stock tires.

The 81 I think is a different engine. I saw this performance from them (30mph) with these G1 but they were only a few years old at the time and late 80s early 90s carts. If yours can't get it on likely something is worn that bad like the CVT, no compression, muffler full, belt not adjusted right (or bad mounts), etc. These carts all stock other than above. One I did sand the top of the exhaust port some less than 1mm higher, you can't do much it will lose compression as you raise it. I got over 30 next to a motorcycle with that one but a couple others were very close to that. Yes those were fun days lol.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #12
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 wont rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffo002 View Post
Hi dezrcr...I have never changer the shoes...Do they look worn to you?..I must try and locate some and fit I guess...How are they held in place ol mate...are they difficult to place?

griff.
Its not so much the shoes/sliders look worn it was the ramps on the helix I was looking at. You can clean them up and put new sliders on. One site sponsor had them for like $3.00 us and may help keep wear low as well as helping engagment. I used a punch and knocked the sliders out from the backside then used a plastic faced hammer to tap new ones back in. Note the orentiation of the sliders as I did not and had to search for a pic.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha