lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
2003CCDS
Not Yet Wild

Default Suddenly won't start / run

2003 Club Car DS gas

Suddenly, one day, it won't start & run when pushing the gas. Battery recently replaced, verified good. All fuses good, cart is in gear, key is on, brake off. Jumping the solenoid tries to start the engine, so seems it may be in one the switches or voltage regulator.

Don't have a lot of free time, so hoping someone has experienced this before and can tell me to the most likely points to verify voltage or continuity to confirm the cause.

Found what appears to be the correct wiring diagram on this site and will also try to start tracing things this weekend.
2003CCDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Suddenly won't start / run

Does the solenoid "click" when you step on the gas pedal (key on, in gear)? If yes, look to the solenoid. If it does not click check the control circuit to the solenoid. Since you've got the voltage to crank the starter when the solenoid is jumped, that suggests the voltage regulator is OK. With a volt meter, confirm you have battery voltage on the blue wire at the small terminal on the solenoid when the key is "on". The circuit is completed by providing ground to the orange wire on the other small terminal on the solenoid. That ground path is through the upper microswitch in the black control box and the rear facing microswitch at the shifter.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
2003CCDS
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, meimk. Seems to be in the solenoid. With key on and shifter in fwd or rev, pushing the gas results in no click or other noise at all. +12v measured at blue wire terminal connection to solenoid. 12v ground measured on white cable where it connects to the starter and the solenoid. 12v ground measured at the upper micro switch in the control box only if the orange wire (to solenoid) is removed. When the orange wire is installed on this upper micro switch, ground is lost at that connection and no ground is present at the orange wire where it connects to the small solenoid terminal.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

12+ at blue wire tells you the ignition switch is sending power. The while cable from the solenoid to the starter will only have power when the solenoid is engaged. The orange wire (small terminal) has to ground - through the upper microswitch in the control box and the engine facing microswitch at the shifter - in order for the solenoid to be engaged. With the cart in maintenance or rear wheels off the ground try this: Key off, run a temporary jumper wire from the orange wire small terminal on the solenoid to ground. Turn the key on and listen for a "click" from the solenoid and starter movement. That test bypasses the two microswitches to see if the solenoid works. Solenoid doesn't have a chance to work until you've got power and ground each supplied on that control circuit.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
2003CCDS
Not Yet Wild

Yes, that confirms my other testing so far today, solenoid is working. Must be one of the micro switches not allowing the ground circuit to complete. Both switches at the shifter tested to be good. Took apart both switches in the control box that are in the ground circuit, no indications of over voltage (EOS), no melted plastics, so I verified physical functionality, reassembled them, and wired them back up to test again. The cart started and ran, took it for a test drive using forward and reverse gears. I guess one of the switches was stuck.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
DannyAbear
Gone Wild

Club Car

OR, the coil went bad; unplug the 1 wire that is attached to engine and check if you have spark at the plug
DannyAbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
2003CCDS
Not Yet Wild

Unfortunately this same issue is back. Here's what I know and tested: (1)+12V at blue wire to solenoid, (2) Jumping the solenoid works, so it's good.

Jumping the small orange solenoid wire to the battery ground post works, but only sometimes. It's the same symptom as pushing the gas. Sometimes the solenoid just clicks, which is usually on the first or first few attempts to drive the cart. Then, after a few pushes of the gas pedal (or, jumping the orange solenoid wire to ground), the engine starts. Engine runs fine once started.

Battery posts are clean, battery is good and strong (only 1 year old, and stays on a Battery Tender). Sounds like a weak ground in or to the switches?
Old 04-11-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

What exactly do you mean by "Jumping the solenoid works"? Are you jumping from the big red wire to the big white wire? If that's the case you are effectively bypassing the solenoid. That tells you the starter generator turns but doesn't tell you anything about the solenoid. Test for ground at that small orange wire when stepping on the gas pedal. should be an open circuit when the pedal is fully up / at rest and continuity to ground with the pedal down. That's what completes the circuit to switch the solenoid. If you don't have solid continuity to ground there when the pedal is pushed, follow that circuit path through the two microswitches and back to ground on the frame - just in front of the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC GAS EWD 92 up.jpg (156.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
2003CCDS
Not Yet Wild

Finally had a little time to work on this...

Symptom: Most of the time, when pushing the gas, the solenoid clicks but the engine will not start or run. If you push the pedal several times, the engine typically starts and runs after 4-6 pushes.

Eliminating the obvious: Removed and thoroughly cleaned all grounds, including black battery negative cable to frame and white cable from solenoid to alternator. No visible damage to any of these cables.

Situation: With rear wheels elevated, I turn on the key, put shifter in fwd, and push the gas pedal. Solenoid clicks but engine does not start/run. Keeping the gas pedal pushed down, I checked for ground at the small solenoid terminal (orange wire), upper switch in the control box (both incoming and outgoing terminals), and rearward switch for the shifter (both incoming and outdoing terminals). All of them show 12V ground with the other multi-tester lead being connected to the battery positive terminal.

If I connect the small solenoid terminal (orange wire) directly to the battery negative post (bypassing all switches), it has the same symptom as pushing the gas pedal, which is intermittent no start/run. If I repeatedly touch this wire to the battery negative post several times, the engine will eventually start/run. So, seems like the solenoid to me.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
2003CCDS
Not Yet Wild

Later today, when I got it onto a state where the engine wouldn't start/run, I gave the solenoid a few convincing taps and suddenly the engine started. I then tried starting it several times in a row, worked every time, and it's never done that since the issue started. New solenoid on order...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car